Author Topic: Creaking noise after removing speedo cable?  (Read 2658 times)

November 29, 2017, 10:28:02 pm

SpannerMonkey23

Creaking noise after removing speedo cable?
« on: November 29, 2017, 10:28:02 pm »
So, while I was replacing the burned out bulbs in my cluster today.
I struggled pretty hard at removing my speedo cable from the back of the cluster. I was gripping with everything I had and it wouldn't budge. I ended up trying (twice) to remove it on the trans.
Wouldn't budge either. Finally after over an hour of fighting, it came free from the back of the cluster.

I made sure it was nice and snug when it was re-installed.

Upon my rest drive,you I noticed it is now making this atrociously loud creaking noise and fluctuating constantly. (The fluctuations are small).

Did I not install it tight enough? Or did I break the cable?
Or is there something else I'm missing?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 10:33:11 pm by SpannerMonkey23 »

Reply #1December 04, 2017, 03:33:54 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Re: Creaking noise after removing speedo cable?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 03:33:54 pm »
Nobody vants to help this dude???
Ok, here goes:
1) is the noise "creaking" (what the he77 ever THAT is) or is the sound more of a "spooling/rotational" sound?

Two things come to mind:
a) you did not get the cable in the back of the cluster properly, AND
b) the cable is probably worn out internally (they get worse in the very cold).

2) when it comes time to remove the cable from the rear-top of the transmission, you MUST be very careful NOT to pull too hard and separate the cable from the little nylon gear (which is in the trans). Why? Because the gear will fall INTO the transmission and your life turns to sheet.

Help yourself by performing a search on speedometer cable or speedometer gear on this forum. Read the horror stories about loosing the gear in the trans.

I highly suggest using rather liberal doses/applications of PB blaster and lots of patience applied to the cable where it enters the transmission, prior to attempting to pull it. In the past, I have also used a small sharp screwdriver to gingerly help "pry" it upward and outward before pulling on the cable.

Just last week I sold my pristine storage unit princess '87 GTI 16-valve to a guy. And, I agreed to replace the rectangular gasket at the speedo/trans insertion spot. The car had been sold and I was VERY nervous the gear might decide to stay in the trans. I used Pb and lots of patience and it (thankfully) came out with no problems. This luck is not always the case. So, beware.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #2December 19, 2017, 01:28:24 pm

SpannerMonkey23

Re: Creaking noise after removing speedo cable?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 01:28:24 pm »
Nobody vants to help this dude???
Ok, here goes:
1) is the noise "creaking" (what the he77 ever THAT is) or is the sound more of a "spooling/rotational" sound?

Two things come to mind:
a) you did not get the cable in the back of the cluster properly, AND
b) the cable is probably worn out internally (they get worse in the very cold).

2) when it comes time to remove the cable from the rear-top of the transmission, you MUST be very careful NOT to pull too hard and separate the cable from the little nylon gear (which is in the trans). Why? Because the gear will fall INTO the transmission and your life turns to sheet.

Help yourself by performing a search on speedometer cable or speedometer gear on this forum. Read the horror stories about loosing the gear in the trans.

I highly suggest using rather liberal doses/applications of PB blaster and lots of patience applied to the cable where it enters the transmission, prior to attempting to pull it. In the past, I have also used a small sharp screwdriver to gingerly help "pry" it upward and outward before pulling on the cable.

Just last week I sold my pristine storage unit princess '87 GTI 16-valve to a guy. And, I agreed to replace the rectangular gasket at the speedo/trans insertion spot. The car had been sold and I was VERY nervous the gear might decide to stay in the trans. I used Pb and lots of patience and it (thankfully) came out with no problems. This luck is not always the case. So, beware.
Haha sorry! Creaking must be a northerner term! I've heard it all of my life.

It has quieted down slightly since this day. I did remove and reinstall it and it didn't change.
I think I might have damaged it trying to rip it out.

I will try applying some penetrating oil and replace both the cable and the gear soon. Hopefully that'll solve my issue.

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Fixmyvw.com