Author Topic: Looking for a seatbelt part number  (Read 2884 times)

November 21, 2017, 08:39:10 pm

SpannerMonkey23

Looking for a seatbelt part number
« on: November 21, 2017, 08:39:10 pm »
Hello everyone! New to the forum, heard about this forum from a guy at a VW dealership here in Chicago.

I have a 1990 Jetta LHD that's a German edition  (or so I was told at the dealership.) The drivers side upper seat belt retention clip-thing is missing.
Everywhere I've looked has only found me a single seatbelt, not the two piece belt like I have.

The seat belt has a separate lap-only belt and and next to where that clips in, there's a belt that runs across your chest and clips on the B pillar of the car.

I'm assuming they're all like this? I've attached some pictures of what the passenger side has, and what the drivers side is lacking.

I'd really like to find one and hook it up before I get into an accident and am unable to recover.
Anybody know a place that has one for sale?
Or a part number so I can order it from the dealership?

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reply #1November 21, 2017, 08:57:19 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Re: Looking for a seatbelt part number
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 08:57:19 pm »
That was that miserable "passive restraint" belt system.
No, I have no idea what the part number is or where to buy new. I probably have some doors stashed away with these on them. The problem with used is that there would always be the chance it would not work.

The wires are wound together to allow the engine to start......"safety" invention. Cut-out switch to not allow the starter to operate.

My advice would be to install a standard 3-point system instead if you are interested in surviving a collision. If you do that, you will need the belt and the corresponding side plastic in the door post.

The piece which is missing was very annoying as it managed to jab you in the side of the head or chest or arm every time you get in and out of the car. And, any woman with large breasts will find it annoying as well. Maybe even ones with smallies.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #2November 21, 2017, 09:41:39 pm

SpannerMonkey23

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 09:41:39 pm »
That was that miserable "passive restraint" belt system.
No, I have no idea what the part number is or where to buy new. I probably have some doors stashed away with these on them. The problem with used is that there would always be the chance it would not work.

The wires are wound together to allow the engine to start......"safety" invention. Cut-out switch to not allow the starter to operate.

My advice would be to install a standard 3-point system instead if you are interested in surviving a collision. If you do that, you will need the belt and the corresponding side plastic in the door post.

The piece which is missing was very annoying as it managed to jab you in the side of the head or chest or arm every time you get in and out of the car. And, any woman with large breasts will find it annoying as well. Maybe even ones with smallies.
If you have one you're willing to sell, I'd gladly buy it from you. I imagine I could splice the wires together inside of the housing?

I really like the two seat belts, it's pretty unique!
But safety ultimately is best. Plus it may be my only route if I cannot find one.

Any suggestions as to where to turn for a standard seatbelt system?

Reply #3November 21, 2017, 09:49:25 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 09:49:25 pm »
I think your best place to go looking is the local parts yards.  Parts Place Inc. might also have something along that line.  They do some used equipment as well as new. 

I was trying to remember if the last Rabbit I saw at our local yard had that setup for belts.  It was a gasser GTI

If safety is what you desire, you might consider a five point belt and those you might find online. 

Reply #4November 22, 2017, 08:53:27 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 08:53:27 pm »
Well, if you want to stay stock...

Everything pictured for $35 plus shipping from 48108.

Reply #5November 22, 2017, 10:54:33 pm

SpannerMonkey23

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 10:54:33 pm »
Well, if you want to stay stock...

Everything pictured for $35 plus shipping from 48108.

Sending you a personal message. Thanks!

Reply #6November 22, 2017, 10:59:56 pm

SpannerMonkey23

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 10:59:56 pm »
I think your best place to go looking is the local parts yards.  Parts Place Inc. might also have something along that line.  They do some used equipment as well as new. 

I was trying to remember if the last Rabbit I saw at our local yard had that setup for belts.  It was a gasser GTI

If safety is what you desire, you might consider a five point belt and those you might find online.
Thanks you! I contacted Parts Place and they said they didn't have anything.
Little unfortunate, but not the end of the world.

I like their website. Lots of cheap parts.
Hopefully I can find a dashboard that isn't cracked from them! Haha.

Thank you!