General Information > Troubleshooting

Hanging on to the Ebrake

(1/3) > >>

ORCoaster:
I have been working on rebuilding the stub axles and repairing the rear brakes on my 81 Caddy and I was wondering if there are supposed to be clips or retainers on the end of the outside part of the cable that would keep it solid up against the backing plate of the drum?  The previous owner had new brakes and cables installed but I see no way to keep the end of the ebrake inside the wheel housing other than spring tension. 

The Bentley service guide has a one liner about a nut that needs to be removed in order to get the cable out but the replacement cables have no threads on them.  There might be a retainer clip that could go on in a groove at the very end of the cable but there presently is no such thing. 

Anyone care to inform me of what is or is not missing?  Seems without something there the adjuster nuts at the handle are the only thing pushing the exterior of the cable into the backing plate. 

RustyCaddy:
That is the same deal as with my truck.  i have the cables zip tied so their angle and tension holds the end of the outer sheathing more or less against the backing plate.

ORCoaster:
I was hoping to get a more secure connection and use the backing plate as the anchor and the tension of the spring to hold it in place.  I am going to measure the slot in the end of the outer cable and see what the hardware store has in the way of a C clip or something like it.

RustyCaddy:
Sounds like a good idea.

Please let us know how it goes.

Zip ties are the poor mans duct tape.

ORCoaster:
I was pressed for time this weekend but I now see that I should have taken a few minutes to measure the cable and the backing plate.  Without a garage and 4 days of rain predicted I could have been hanging out in the hardware store, staying dry and figuring this out.  I now need to pull a wheel off in the rain to get the measurements. 

Maybe there will be a break in the clouds for a half an hour and I can do that.  If not, maybe by next weekend. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version