Author Topic: Looking for local help with a 1.6TD in NC  (Read 4324 times)

October 30, 2017, 09:36:12 am

BWoodNC

Looking for local help with a 1.6TD in NC
« on: October 30, 2017, 09:36:12 am »
I apologize for posting this in the general section, but I couldn't tell which was the appropriate sub-forum category for my request.

I'm located in Huntersville NC, and I'm looking for a trusted Volkswagen diesel mechanic.
I have not done any of this work myself, so I get overwhelmed when mechanics ask me questions about the setup.
I'm trying to find someone that is capable of getting this engine going so I can get it back on the road and trails.

I have a 1.6 TD from a 1986 Jetta in a 1988 Suzuki Samurai.
When doing the swap I had a new head and injection pump installed.
The engine ran well for a while, but I was still using the Samurai starter and alternator. The engine quit starting and it sounded as if the starter wasn't turning the engine fast enough.
The vehicle sat almost a year before I did anything else with it.

I recently had a GM alternator and a new starter commonly used with these swaps installed.
The engine still will not start.
Right now the mechanic is telling me the engine seems to only be hitting on one cylinder and has a lot of blowback from the crankcase.

Reply #1November 01, 2017, 09:57:31 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Looking for local help with a 1.6TD in NC
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 09:57:31 pm »
If you search diesel timing that is a start. If it is only hitting on one cylinder, it may have had issues before you got it. You probably have a compression issue.

Reply #2November 02, 2017, 12:03:50 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 12:03:50 am »
Could it be that while it sat for that amount of time the rings are no longer up against the cylinder walls and you need to get them free and clear again?  Might need to pull the head, release the pistons from the crank and slide them up and out for cleaning and inspection.  Measure as well on both parts.  Only remove one at a time lest you mix them up.  That would not be good. 

Reply #3November 05, 2017, 04:31:24 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 04:31:24 pm »
Before we get too far down the rabbit hole with tearing in to an engine that was running fine before storage........

Glow plugs and fuel are the first places to start. Are the glow plugs working? Do they get hot? How are you controlling them?

Do you have clear supply and return lines to and from the injection pump? Any signs of air in the system?

Is your mechanic a VW diesel guy or just someone trying to work on a VW who is really only familiar with gassers?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #4November 05, 2017, 07:03:22 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 07:03:22 pm »
I agree with vanbcguy.  Start with the normal easy to do things and be sure of those first.  To determine if you have ring troubles a simple compression check will tell you all you need to know.  Either you have 400 psi on all or most cylinders or you don't.  Go from there.

Reply #5December 28, 2018, 10:28:49 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 10:28:49 pm »
Check Ebay or Amazon I think they are pretty common.

Fixmyvw.com