Engine Specific Info and Questions > TDI - VE Pump TDI Engines

Oil Pressure Delay?

<< < (3/3)

Ibuprofen:
Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely get a second pressure gauge connected for a sanity check.

The install I have is 50 degrees but I'm using a Porsche 915 transmission which is the reason for the adapter plate. I purchased my buddy's diesel setup after his AHU threw a rod (different engine than mine) and he decided to re-power with something else.

Any preferred gauges?

Thanks!

ORCoaster:
Mechanical is my preferred.  Stewart Warner or VDO  Black face, White numbers.  Just like to keep it stock.

libbydiesel:
Nice trans choice.  You're excused for using an adapter plate.  :)

As far as testing/confirmation use a test gauge.

Mechanical oil pressure gauges don't work very well in Vanagons.  The ~12-15' run from engine to dash makes for very delayed reactions in cold weather. 

It is my experience that the electrical oil pressure senders fail very quickly when mounted solidly to the engine.  I believe the diesel vibrations shake them apart.  I would recommend remote mounting with flex hose between engine and sender.  If you add an oil to air cooler (very good idea) then adding the electric sender in the line to or from cooler is one way to accomplish it. 

Ibuprofen:
My buddy let me use one of his large mechanical gauges to sanity check with my electric oil pressure gauge. He was adventurous enough to ride in the back of the van with the lid removed reading the gauge while we drove around town. It was interesting seeing differences between the two gauges. In general, they were pretty similar but the mechanical gauge was very quick to respond to changes in pressure.

Having verified that the oil pressure was still no bueno, I set into the task of pulling the engine to remove the oil pan to inspect and eventually swap in a new oil pump. I had already purchased a new oil pump from FCP Euro (Febi 068115105BP) to have on hand and what we found was that the pump I'd originally installed had smaller gears than the new Febi pump. The installed pump was ordered from Bus Depot, same part number, but what I received was Topran brand. After sitting at the computer and reading some more online it would appear the Topran is likely a 30mm pump, Febi 36mm.

I haven't yet installed the Febi pump as I'm waiting on connecting rod bolts since I plasticgag'd while I was in there (con rod bearings appear within wear spec) and I also want to reduce the Febi oil pump's vertical lash, which seems to be a bit too high as I can pull on the shaft and I get a decent click sound from it. I'll update this thread with what I hope is good news after the Febi pump vertical/end lash is reduced and checked with plasticgage and installed. The internet hive mind suggests top lash somewhere around 0.001-0.002" so I'll aim for that.

In hindsight I could have compared the Topran brand pump with the stock TDI oil pump and I'd probably have noticed the gear size difference. At any rate, I haven't actually fixed the oil pressure issue!

Stay tuned...

Ibuprofen:
It's been a while, but I ended up swapping in the correct pump. The oil pressure response is improved and the warm oil numbers are a bit better. I'm seeing 30-ish PSI on the interstate when up to temp, still no tachometer so I can't say for sure at what RPM but it's probably in in the 3k area. I've been driving and keeping an eye on things, if I notice the pressure is dropping I'll stop driving it but thus far the numbers are at least consistent and not dropping.

Changing the topic a bit but I'm wondering if anyone has the part number for the ALH injection pump sprocket hub? I am in the process of swapping on a land rover pump.

EDIT: sprocket hub appears to be part number "2 466 434 005"

Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version