Model Specific Questions and Info > MK2 Golf/Jetta and Audi 5k

Effect on Oil Pressure Due to Head Issues

(1/3) > >>

thomas m:
In this diesel engine how much does wear on head components contribute to reduced oil pressure compared to
the intermediate shaft, rod/crank bearings, intermed shaft, vacuum pump seal, etc. ??

vanbcguy:
It certainly can have an impact... Do you have a specific problem you're trying to troubleshoot?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

thomas m:
Before a major rebuild, if that becomes necessary, I might try replacing components that could boost my oil pressure a bit. I'm curious as to how much difference each change might make. I've replaced the oil pump and the vacuum pump "green" seal without much rise in pressure. I've been thinking about doing the rod bearing and main bearings next. I don't want to remove the engine just yet. It start and runs ok with nominal oil consumption.
If new bottom end bearings would improve the oil pressure, I would suspect that the intermediate shaft is not a major contributor.

The oil has been changed every 3000 mile for the life of the car and I didn't find and dirt or metal in the oil pan.
I wouldn't mind taking it in to a reliable shop, but I don't have one in mind at this time.

air-cooled or diesel:
what kind of oil pressure readings are we talking about?
what oil are you using? grade & brand?

thomas m:
I have a VDO electric gauge installed. I see an idle pressure of about 75 psi on start up and about 7-9 psi once up to high temp. The block temp on an 80-90F(27-32C) degree day is about 210 degrees F(99C). Pressure at cruise, 55-60 mph, is about 40 psi. I read block temp as estimated oil temp. I have a temperature pickup screwed into a threaded boss on the front of the engine near the oil cooler.

Occasionally, after it's really hot, I will get a red light at idle which is set at about 850 rpm. But it does not stay on.  Specs on the VDO sender give a red light at a little higher pressure as compared to the original VW idiot light sender. I replaced the VDO unit with the original VW sender and I did not get the red light. I'm trying to be optimistic so I don't have to deal with a disaster......yet.

With the block temp stabilized at about 200F(93C), the light comes on at low idle and the 2000 rpm pressure is 25-28 psi. This is gauge pressure measured at estimated 2000 rpm/18 mph in second gear. Bentley says 28 psi @ 2000 rpm, operating temp at 140F(68C) with 10 W oil. I'm not sure how this relates to my numbers.

I'm using Delo 400 15W-40 Diesel Oil. I guess I could up the weight. I have a gallon of Delo 40W on the shelf.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version