Author Topic: Replaced tires and now having problem with lug bolts  (Read 3494 times)

August 26, 2017, 02:33:48 am

tbjazznotes

• Personal Text
    '82 Rabbit 1.6D
Replaced tires and now having problem with lug bolts
« on: August 26, 2017, 02:33:48 am »
I drive an '82 rabbit 1.6D.  A previous owner had installed coilover struts and lowered the car significantly, with smaller tires in front and larger in back.  They had also installed after-market wheels that have a special patterned lug head, which I have a special socket to remove. 

I blew a tire last week and decided it was time to replace all four, and while the tires were off I threaded up the coilover struts to raise the car (sick of scraping my oil pan..).  I got the new tires and opted for 4 of the same size instead of having the front/rear be different. 

Everything was looking good and I got the tires back on, but when I tried to spin the rear tires (parking break not engaged) they rotate about 3/4ths of the way around and stop abruptly.  Puzzled, I pulled them off and try spinning the drum and it spins fine.  So I put one of the rear tires back on and again it stops after only 3/4ths of a turn. 

When the lug bolts are not fully tightened it spins fine, but once I tighten them, it is as if they are too long and are hitting something inside the brake drum.  This is especially puzzling because nothing has changed as far as I know, the rear tires are the same size as before and there was no spacer in between the wheel and drum that I know of.  Am I missing something? 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Reply #1August 26, 2017, 08:57:35 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
Re: Replaced tires and now having problem with lug bolts
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 08:57:35 am »
Everything was looking good and I got the tires back on, but when I tried to spin the rear tires (parking break not engaged) they rotate about 3/4ths of the way around and stop abruptly.  Puzzled, I pulled them off and try spinning the drum and it spins fine.  So I put one of the rear tires back on and again it stops after only 3/4ths of a turn. 

When the lug bolts are not fully tightened it spins fine, but once I tighten them, it is as if they are too long and are hitting something inside the brake drum.  This is especially puzzling because nothing has changed as far as I know, the rear tires are the same size as before and there was no spacer in between the wheel and drum that I know of.  Am I missing something? 

I'd check the lug bolts - some may be longer than the others. Did some front bolts get swapped with rears?

Are the wheels the same as before, and same size all four?

Reply #2August 28, 2017, 06:00:27 pm

tbjazznotes

• Personal Text
    '82 Rabbit 1.6D
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 06:00:27 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

You were right that the lug bolts for front tires were longer than the back.  I swapped them and its working normally now.  Thanks!  #imanoob

Reply #3August 29, 2017, 07:40:20 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 07:40:20 am »
Personally, I'd get the right length bolts. If your car goes to a shop, they might get mixed up and someone could try to drive the car out of the service bay.

Stuff happens, even when you warn the shop. (BTDT)

Reply #4August 30, 2017, 12:32:48 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 12:32:48 pm »
^even so,
          2 different lengths for wheel bolts? do you have steel rims, or aluminum rims? steel can take the shorter 22mm bolts, al rims take (min) 24mm length bolts (actually 23.5mm i guess). there is a strong 27mm bolt available.