Engine Specific Info and Questions > TDI - VE Pump TDI Engines

Asv timing failur

(1/3) > >>

Bigmick77380:
Hi everybody, i have a asv with timing failur, not the time to open the engine for now, but one hydrolic lifter juste exploded, and two are craked but i don't know how that append, that append in a linear drive ( no acceleration) the timing belt is still stretched, the camshaft look good i don't understand how that happened...
Any idea ...?

vanbcguy:
Do you know much history on the engine?

If the belt is old or poor quality it may have lost some teeth. This usually happens at the crank gear since it has the least wrap there and the most force. If that happens it'll do damage despite the belt still being tight.

If the belt is intact it is possible the damage you see is from a past timing incident. Someone may have just put a new belt on and hoped for the best previously, now a damaged part has failed completely.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Bigmick77380:
The engine have 280 000 km (174 000 miles), buy by a friend at 180 000km (112 000 miles), it was a second end, when he buy the car, the belt has been changed, run good, i buy the car, 3 month ago, change the belt by myself (that's not my first time :) ) (its a Continal belt kit with water pump, etc...) do 2000km (1300 miles), and boom, engine stop, don't understand how  ???

vanbcguy:
Guess you'll have to start taking things apart... Cam sprocket tight?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Bigmick77380:
It don't move by the hand, but don't know if it realy tight, now i don't have time to control this, but within one week, i will.
But i note something, the hydrolic lifter who exploded, don't "just exploded, it jump out of it place (i think), it got stuck between head and camshaft exhaust cam, and when the cam go down, the lifter exploded.
I say this because, the head have little mark on the lifter place, and next to the exhaust lifter, a circular mark (and pieces of iron everywhere)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version