General Information > Troubleshooting

Hanging idle: stretching spring how much?

(1/3) > >>

vwzzuk:
I've searched the forum for members that have solved their hanging idle issues by stretching the idle spring in their injection pumps.

Specs: 1.6TD, non-high idle cold start rod, 1986 engine, fresh rebuilt pump by service provider. Problem existed with previous owner that I bought the pump from. I thought having it rebuilt would have it fixed. However, it came back from the rebuilder with the same high idle problem.

Problem: idle hangs up too long/high before coming back to idle. It hangs so much that there is no "compression braking" when coming down a hill. Its like it stays on throttle until you hit the flats on the road.

Question: "how much do you stretch the idle spring to correct the idle?" 1/8th inch? more?

Thanks,
dave

vwzzuk:
I measured the idle spring (what i think is the idle spring. Little independent spring on the far right side of the governor setup) at 8.2mm long and stretched it out to about 11.2mm.

Stretching it that far is way too much stretch as it idles now at about 1700 rpms. Hummmm.

I guess I will have to put another stock 1.6 idle spring back in place from another parts pump I have and see if it idles again.

vwzzuk:
Well, I couldn't seem to get it to run with another idle spring alternative.

So, I got another governor spring assembly along with the accompanying throttle lever indexed to it from another pump. I put the assembly in my rebuilt pump and it now runs again. BUT, it still has that hanging rpm issue. Not sure how to get rid of it now after messing with it.

Any suggestions?

burn_your_money:
Are your injectors good?

vwzzuk:
Yep. Rebuilt 1.6TD injectors.
Did them the same time as the pump.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version