S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Suzuki with VW 1.6 TD Swap Noob Question  (Read 3290 times)

August 13, 2017, 01:56:48 pm

soma56

• Personal Text
    WVO is FREE...
Suzuki with VW 1.6 TD Swap Noob Question
« on: August 13, 2017, 01:56:48 pm »
Hello VWDiesel community. I have a 1996 Suzuki Sidekick that has been swapped with a VW 1.6TD. I didn’t do the conversion. I’m going to confirm this week if the engine block has been cracked as it’s overheating like a madman without meds as has lots of white smoke. This was after a fresh gasket and professionally filed down cylinder head. The question I have is if the ‘new’ engine is timed prior to removing the existing engine are there any concerns with respect to connecting it to the transmission or can I just ‘bolt it on’? I’ve pretty much done everything except separate/swap an engine/transmission – are there any precautions I should be aware of before taking on this task?

Finally, if you’re inclined in entertaining me, if I were to get a 1.9 TD instead of a 1.6 engine would I need to consider anything else or should it bolt on to the transmission just like the 1.6 already does? From what I can see on the Acme adapters website the adapter plate (A572 3/8") is the same for both the 1.6 and 1.9.

I’m out of wheels right now until I get this done. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 02:00:40 pm by soma56 »

Reply #1February 27, 2019, 03:26:09 am

Timothycrock

Suzuki with VW 1 6 TD Swap Noob Question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 03:26:09 am »
Im probably overlooking something, but why would you need to swap a different fuel tank in???

Reply #2March 18, 2019, 12:56:01 pm

Spokerider

• Junior

Re: Suzuki with VW 1.6 TD Swap Noob Question
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 12:56:01 pm »
If the  engine and pump are "timed" as you say.....then it's just bolt it up to the trans / clutch / flywheel and go.
 If you want to check your timing with the sidekick flywheel, you'll need to use the Acme marks on the sidekick flywheel.....IF it is an Acme flywheel that is......., to locate TDC.

If you don't know how to time an IDI vw diesel, you have much to learn [ first ].

The aaz should be a direct replacement into the engine bay, except for the oil cooler / warmer driver side engine-mount interference.  This oil cooler / warmer mount / bracket is different between the 1.6 and the 1.9.
 Jeff can assist you on this.

S-PAutomotive.com