Author Topic: 1.6NA with Turbo+Pump, meeting more modern emissions?  (Read 1651 times)

August 01, 2017, 08:41:12 am

Bugsy_malone 666

• Junior

1.6NA with Turbo+Pump, meeting more modern emissions?
« on: August 01, 2017, 08:41:12 am »
So for a year I have been building and not finishing a 1.6D that I had laying about, with the rebuild consisting of a new set of valves and guides, gaskets and a general check over. I am also planning on plonking a turbo on it from either a 1.6TD (KKK) or from a 1.9TD engine (K03? not sure) then I also have a fuel pump sat spare to rebuild for it thats a turbo one.

The first goal is a sweet running engine. The second goal is to get more than the original 54hp out of it. The 3rd goal was looking at putting it in a more modern car, I say more modern I mean 2000 or earlier.

So I wondered on the emissions side of thing how the old 1.6TD engine stacked up against the 1.9 engines and maybe PD engine emissions wise, eg will sticking a catalytic converter on it be enough.

Just a silly idea at this stage, but ideas have to start somewhere!

Reply #1August 01, 2017, 08:44:45 am

deepgrooves74

• Junior

• This is my build thread... Bucket.
Re: 1.6NA with Turbo+Pump, meeting more modern emissions?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 08:44:45 am »
Depending on the state you cannot officially swap some motors into newer cars because they are subject to very stringent emissions...

There are always ways to get around those regulations though. Good luck! I turned my gas gti into a 1.6 TD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reply #2August 01, 2017, 10:29:48 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: 1.6NA with Turbo+Pump, meeting more modern emissions?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 10:29:48 am »
You'll have a pretty hard time meeting actual emissions regulations as written pretty much past about 1995 with a 1.6TD in Canada and somewhere around 92 or so in the states. EGR is required after that for NOx control, usually along with a bunch of other stuff on the pump to control timing. AAZs for instance have a small "ECU" in the relay panel that controls an EGR valve and a timing lockout solenoid, sometimes even a turbo cutout.

Most actual emissions tests for pre-96 diesels though are simply an opacity test - they check for visible smoke. Here in Vancouver when we still had our AirCare program they allowed for 30% opacity on pre-96 diesels. Technically you were not allowed to swap anything newer in to a body but I was able to pass my '94 Jetta with an '89 1.6TD in it.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

S-PAutomotive.com