Author Topic: 1992 jetta  (Read 2566 times)

July 17, 2017, 05:56:27 pm

rick8677

1992 jetta
« on: July 17, 2017, 05:56:27 pm »
i recently purchased a 92 diesel jetta.been sitting in garage for about 6 years but in real decent shape.thought i could do a quick flip as i have a 92 gas jetta for parts.was told diesel engine was replaced and only has 60k on it.just cant seem to get it too start.tried priming the pump by pouring diesel into the injection pump.also tried pouring fuel into the return line,filled the fuel filter.have power going to glow plugs and injection pump.have even swapped a few glow plugs with a spare engine i had.have loosened the injectors and cranked over engine to remove any air.checked glow plug fuse on firewall.marked injection pump and advanced it a bit.also tried retarding it a bit to no avail....any thoughts?

Reply #1July 18, 2017, 12:58:22 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: 1992 jetta
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 12:58:22 am »
When you cracked the injectors did you get fuel out of them when you cranked it over? 

Do you know that you have 12 VDC to the solenoid on the back part of the Injection Pump where the four lines come out?  You can jumper from the battery if you don't.

This thing sitting for that long may also have the four little pieces of metal that move the fuel in and out of the main pump stuck and they are no longer pumping fuel about the IP.  You may need to open it up to loosen them in order to move fuel.

That is where I would start for now. 

Reply #2July 18, 2017, 09:15:38 am

rick8677

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 09:15:38 am »
when i cranked it over fuel came out of the 3 injectors i can get cracked.fourth one is being stubborn and think line will break if i try any harder.i had 11 volts at solenoid so maybe will try a jumper right off of battery.i thought 11 was pretty good any less i would be worried.tried to check ohms at glow plugs but dont really know how to use multimeter or it does not work thats why i switched couple glow plugs up.can i open up the pump on the car or does it have to be removed

Reply #3July 18, 2017, 12:52:37 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 12:52:37 pm »
1 why 11volts? check your battery volt, it should be 12.5+V. either that or you have, like a lot of us, a cheap-o multimeter. not uncommon. but 2 you have fuel flow, so thats a good sign. why are you having problems with the 1 injection pipe? by the way its the injector pipes here, to/before injectors. one thing you can do, hook up a bottle of diesel purge, run hoses accordingly. which would be find a connector, it should be a 3/8 OD, can probably find at like a plumbing shop, run fuel line extension to bottle, disconnect fuel return from pump, tank another length for fuel line, run to bottle, prob also need the extra clamps for this. with inj pipes either disconnected @injectors, or take off pipes altogether, will make a mess squirting out of pump, or with out pipes connected properly, you can take some cloth to protect rad hoses, and battery and such. now crank motor, and get purge thru and see if you can get fuel flow thru all 4 pipes/or squirters.
one smart thing to do here, so you dont have to stop and let starter cool down, you can remove glow plugs, you now should be able to just crank(freewheel) motor and not have to stop, do make sure to check starter that it doesnt overheat. its also possible to take injectors out, however you have to do it right, and if you dont have a lot of experience here, i dont want you to ruin your head by not knowing the correct way how. youd also need new heatshields for removing injectors.

Reply #4July 18, 2017, 02:02:54 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 02:02:54 pm »
If you can't get the nut off at the injector try it at the back of the pump.  You are just trying to verify fuel flow.  But not having one deliver shouldn't keep it from starting. 
11.0 volts is low but not to the point that it wouldn't lift the solenoid.  And getting fuel to three of the injectors tells me the solenoid is lifting enough to get you started.

But 11.0 is a low battery and you might do well to put it on a charger but don't be surprised if it won't really take a charge.  This car and thus the battery sat for six years remember?  Most batteries don't do well sitting like that.  My guess is even if it does charge it won't be very dependable come cold weather.

Getting the glow plugs out to crank the engine over is easy until you have to fight behind the IP to wiggle those out.  If this is your first diesel I would just opt for taking the two easy ones out.  And yes to do any sort of rebuilding/dismantle on the IP I would be taking it out of the car.  It comes apart vertically from the back and leaving it horizontal will have the guts spilling out all over the place.  Trust me, I opened my first that way as was very grateful I found all the parts.  One is very, very small but hugely important.

Keep us posted. 

Reply #5July 18, 2017, 03:35:59 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 03:35:59 pm »
if you do crank over motor,  -DoNot crank over with glowplugs removed and injector lines hooked up, it may be dangerous. you do not want glowplugs removed and fuel being injected into cylinders.
as far as the injector line that wont come off, its not too hard to ruin these connections, in fact they shouldnt be that tight. although having sat around for so long, and perhaps someone else had their hand on them,,,well perhaps try something line PB-blaster, trying to find something better may be hard,locally, and expensive. use a flange wrench. try not to strip it, that will be the end of that pipe. and getting it off may be harder.

one other thing, you may just need new glow plugs, buy bosch, there is a way to test. although i stay away from testing at or near the battery, a good way to get batt to explode in your face,,. 1 thing you can do, is when glow plug light is on, take multimeter and get volts at glow plug buss bar. another thing it can be difficult to get glow plug ohm reading, you for one have to isolate each glow plug, by removing copper buss 'bar', as if its hooked up, you only need 1 glow plug to work and you will get current thru/ohm reading from that one circuit.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 03:37:37 pm by air-cooled or diesel »

Fixmyvw.com