S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Saving a 1980 Caddy!!  (Read 7794 times)

July 14, 2017, 11:41:19 am

jv98

Saving a 1980 Caddy!!
« on: July 14, 2017, 11:41:19 am »
long story short, got word of a pickup in a yard not too far from me so I went and checked it out. now besides the surface rust the thing has no holes, clean floors and towers. I ended up buying it but having an issue. I got it running but it doesn't run for long. I was thinking maybe air is getting in the lines or something. not sure what, any help is greatly appriciated!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reply #1July 15, 2017, 12:20:54 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Saving a 1980 Caddy!!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 12:20:54 am »
Welcome to the Caddy Club my friend.  I just ordered about 350 dollars worth of small and large parts for mine tonight.  Almost done with the restore.  Then I get to drive it.

For as long as that thing sat up on the bus did you drain the fuel, clean the tank and replace the fuel filter before trying to run it as you are?  I found that my fuel was OK but when I went to drain the filters they gave me a ton of water and other unmentionables.  So I figure the PO never serviced the filter and just replaced it.  It runs uphill a lot better not being starved for fuel.  Amazing how that works. 

The PO also couldn't get the OEM filter off the flange so he add a second filter in line for some reason.  If the first one is plugged the IP was going to have a harder time pulling fuel through two filters instead of just one.  I finally got the filter off the flange but it took a chisel and a hefty hammer to do it. 

Do you have a section of clear line between the filter and the IP?  That will tell you if you are pulling air into your IP and potentially building it up to a point that the engine just stops running altogether. 

Good luck killing all that rust and making it shine again.  Lots of prep to do there. 

Reply #2July 15, 2017, 12:31:26 am

jv98

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 12:31:26 am »
Welcome to the Caddy Club my friend.  I just ordered about 350 dollars worth of small and large parts for mine tonight.  Almost done with the restore.  Then I get to drive it.

For as long as that thing sat up on the bus did you drain the fuel, clean the tank and replace the fuel filter before trying to run it as you are?  I found that my fuel was OK but when I went to drain the filters they gave me a ton of water and other unmentionables.  So I figure the PO never serviced the filter and just replaced it.  It runs uphill a lot better not being starved for fuel.  Amazing how that works. 

The PO also couldn't get the OEM filter off the flange so he add a second filter in line for some reason.  If the first one is plugged the IP was going to have a harder time pulling fuel through two filters instead of just one.  I finally got the filter off the flange but it took a chisel and a hefty hammer to do it. 

Do you have a section of clear line between the filter and the IP?  That will tell you if you are pulling air into your IP and potentially building it up to a point that the engine just stops running altogether. 

Good luck killing all that rust and making it shine again.  Lots of prep to do there.
I did replace the line from the filter to the ip, no bubbles in it anymore. I'm looking to replace all with clear to see if any have bubbles In them...as for the rust, just surface. I replaced the filter and it did run longer but still shut off

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reply #3July 17, 2017, 06:20:12 pm

A2jettafreak

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 06:20:12 pm »
nice!!! early westy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply #4July 17, 2017, 06:23:55 pm

A2jettafreak

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 06:23:55 pm »
Put some cleaner in the tank..    change fuel filter..   change air filter..  change the grounds. i know there loterally isnt much but the one that goes to pump is important.  also  check voltage on alternator  for ***s and giggles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply #5July 19, 2017, 08:41:42 am

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 08:41:42 am »
real nice pickup-of-a-pickup, haha. nice jv.
you can do a lot, for one you could pull that old motor and upgrade to a TD, or perhaps drop a 1.9 TDI in it and impress you neighbors with some power, and go m-TDI, would be fun, if you happen to have de dough. although as is a standard for vw diesels you probably can get that basic na motor running and it can quite possibly run ok for some time. going to be some work getting all that rust, if its surface as you say, and cleaning it up. id suggest you find metal prep what is the #?,501?, to final metal-prep pre painting.

Reply #6March 07, 2019, 12:04:38 pm

jv98

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 12:04:38 pm »
I realized I never updated the post. around June of 2018 I got it on the road and man, it drives great. its the best sounded diesel engine I've owned. cant wait to bring it back out once the snow goes away

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reply #7March 07, 2019, 06:45:09 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 06:45:09 pm »
I think I would be buying a used hood and saving all the time and rust for some other part of the truck.  Easy to find fenders and hoods.  Not so easy to find bed and decent tail gates. 

Makes mine look like a show room condition truck. 

Reply #8March 07, 2019, 06:48:36 pm

jv98

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 06:48:36 pm »
I think I would be buying a used hood and saving all the time and rust for some other part of the truck.  Easy to find fenders and hoods.  Not so easy to find bed and decent tail gates. 

Makes mine look like a show room condition truck.
I've decided to leave it as is. I like it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reply #9March 07, 2019, 06:52:59 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 06:52:59 pm »
Too much wind resistance,  Cuts about 2 MPG off every tank I bet. 

Reply #10April 20, 2019, 09:42:14 pm

AiromiDrize

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 09:42:14 pm »
     .    ,   .  , »    « »  .        https://ghostsclan.zapto.org/punbb/profile.php?id=37455        . 22:45   ,   2.          .         . 

.       ,    .  ¦      .            cs go .

10    .    «.    .     21     .

S-PAutomotive.com