Author Topic: Lifting the Sagging Caddy  (Read 7439 times)

July 13, 2017, 12:45:16 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Lifting the Sagging Caddy
« on: July 13, 2017, 12:45:16 am »
Has anyone used the add a leaf kit from the folks at missinglinkz?  Do they even sell it anymore.  I dropped them a line but am asking here as well.  Where else can a guy get a single leaf to increase ride height and load capacity?  Parts Place wants 125 each and about 100 to ship to me.  I think there are cheaper and as good alternatives out there.  Looking around, but let me know if you have used the MLZ kit.

thanks bro

Reply #1July 13, 2017, 09:29:47 pm

Rabbit79

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Burns, Oregon,USA
Re: Lifting the Sagging Caddy
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 09:29:47 pm »
Here a while back I was checking into some overload springs for my F-250, and talking to the boys down at Les Schwab they said everybody's using air bags now. That might be something to check into.
Current: 1979 Rabbit 4dr
            1984 F-250
            1999 Ford Ranger
Other v-dubs I've owned:
84 Rabbit
78 Rabbit (gasoline) flipped it end over end after driving all night and falling asleep at the wheel. RIP, it was a good little car.
70 Bug

Reply #2July 13, 2017, 11:12:55 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 11:12:55 pm »
I did get a reply from the folks at missinglinkz selling the helper kit.  Still the same price and I can use Pay Pal to send the money.  They still offer a 10% discount to folks like ourselves using a forum such as this.   

I also got a reply from a spring builder in the Portland area that would do several options.  A single spring sent to me for 90 bucks, If I take the spring to them they could install the spring into my current set for 125 each or I could just come get all new springs for 275 each.  Wow.  Parts Place isn't looking so bad anymore.  The reply included the fact that the shop didn't think inserting just one long spring would get me a 2-3 inch lift.  Basically if I want to raise it that much I need new springs.  I read that in other places as well so it is not just their opinion, all the other springs are tired and adding one new just won't do the work of a new set.  No brainer there man!

So to do this at a reasonable cost I might look into bags.  There is a shop in town that does good work.  That gets me lift but I am also in need of carrying capacity.  So maybe the helper set from Crawler and then a lift block and longer U bolts or bags. 

If the PO had not just installed a new set of shocks on this thing I might even go for Air shocks-  The pre bag method. 

Reply #3July 14, 2017, 10:21:37 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 10:21:37 am »
Super-beetle air shocks... easy peasy and cheap.

Reply #4May 17, 2020, 04:03:48 am

vwzzuk

• Junior

• http://www.acmeadapters.com
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 04:03:48 am »
I just used an extra leaf from a Toyota Pickup truck and added it in the pack to make it stiffer and carry more. I also added rear air shocks that fill up to 200psi. I've had over 1200lbs in the back from several trips from Colorado to Portland and it carries the load great.

I did add a sway bar up front that made a huge difference with stability too. I think I'll figure out a way to put a sway bar in the rear of the truck too.
91 Jetta, 1.6NA
87 Suzuki Samurai, 1.9 AAZ
92 Sidekick 4dr, 1.9TDI

Reply #5May 17, 2020, 10:32:02 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 10:32:02 pm »
VWZZUK,  Old post but I guess I never followed up with what I ended up doing. 

I purchased a new set of VW Caddy springs for it but they didn't lift it up very much compared to what I had going.  So I found a set of blocks that fit a Jeep Cherokee and added 3 inches of lift from those.  I am now thinking of adding an inch or two to the front to raise the front some.

I tried a set of struts from a Jetta in hopes they would give me at least an inch.  They just didn't fit and stretched the axles out to the max. 

I too put on a K type under the frame stabilizer.  It does make the front end seem stiffer. 

I think IF I had to do it over I would have just shoved another leaf in the middle of the pack and gone for 2 inch blocks.