Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: First start after rebuild  (Read 1745 times)

July 01, 2017, 02:08:29 am

RunninWild

• Veteran

First start after rebuild
« on: July 01, 2017, 02:08:29 am »
Started pretty easily but it shakes really bad and just sounds off to me. Anyone have any idea's? Only ran it for a few seconds as my wiring isn't even close to being ready. Just wanted to see how it would run. Air in the lines maybe? Sounds like its firing on all cylinders but something is definitely off.

Reply #1July 01, 2017, 10:30:50 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: First start after rebuild
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 10:30:50 am »
It takes a bit for the pump and lines to get purged 100%.

Reply #2July 01, 2017, 05:45:40 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 05:45:40 pm »
Got a battery charger and started it up again. Shaking is gone and seems smoother but still sounds like something is a little off. I've heard a loud noise coming from one of the cylinders (ping?) occasionally. Its not a continuing noise but I've definitely heard it on a few firing cycles in a row. Really hope I didn't bend a valve... Running a 1 notch gasket and the protrusion on all the cylinders was in spec for a 1 notch.

Got the engine almost up to running temp roughly 170f for oil and water before shutting it down. Fixed a minor oil leak from the turbo feed line but other then that nothing major that's standing out to me. Is it normal for new engines to smoke? There is a decent amount of grey smoke from the exhaust and it definitely starts pouring out when the revs get past a certain point. Could it be the oil I coated the cylinders with or would that burn off almost instantly?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 05:55:38 pm by RunninWild »

Reply #3July 01, 2017, 11:52:58 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 11:52:58 pm »
It takes a bit for parts to wear in.  I wouldn't worry about a little smoke on new engine.  Injectors might be hanging up if not run for a while as well.  Let it cycle cold to hot and let the fan come on.  Then shut it down.  You should be doing that for the head torque anyway.  Then run it some 1000 miles then do the final head bolt down procedure. 

Follow the Bentley boys. 

S-PAutomotive.com