Author Topic: Bulb Check Relay question  (Read 3240 times)

June 29, 2017, 12:18:13 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Bulb Check Relay question
« on: June 29, 2017, 12:18:13 am »
Can anyone verify the type of relay that goes in the bulb check spot on a 1981 VW Caddy?  I pulled out the one in my truck and it is just the multipurpose one, 4 prong, 16 Amps.

I looked up the fuse box diagram in the Bentley and I get that there should be a five prong plug in there not at four.  The middle prong is shown to be an 87a in one place, the fuse box, and 86a on the wiring diagram.  From what I can gather the difference is that the 87a is normally closed and the 86a is normally open.  When you apply voltage they switch over to the opposite. 

So what five prong relay do I need to put in the bulb check relay slot.  Or does it even matter? 

Reply #1July 17, 2017, 06:24:55 pm

A2jettafreak

Re: Bulb Check Relay question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 06:24:55 pm »
Can anyone verify the type of relay that goes in the bulb check spot on a 1981 VW Caddy?  I pulled out the one in my truck and it is just the multipurpose one, 4 prong, 16 Amps.

I looked up the fuse box diagram in the Bentley and I get that there should be a five prong plug in there not at four.  The middle prong is shown to be an 87a in one place, the fuse box, and 86a on the wiring diagram.  From what I can gather the difference is that the 87a is normally closed and the 86a is normally open.  When you apply voltage they switch over to the opposite. 

So what five prong relay do I need to put in the bulb check relay slot.  Or does it even matter?

Check mk1 groups on facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fixmyvw.com