Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Renault Clio 1.9 DTI - Injection problem?  (Read 5327 times)

June 28, 2017, 12:12:13 pm

pirolito

Renault Clio 1.9 DTI - Injection problem?
« on: June 28, 2017, 12:12:13 pm »
Hi Guys,

sorry i dont know if this is the correct section but anyway i will post it:

maybe some can help me with an issue i currently have in my car.
I had a renault clio mk2 from 2003. it was a 1.5 dci 80bhp but i swapped to an 1.9 dTI 80bhp.

The injection is the same used on VW 1.9 tdi engines with VP37 injection pump.

Since i swapped the engine i had this problem that in 1500 to 2250 rev range the car is choking.
So if step on the throttle and get some progressive acceleration that car doesn't choke but as soon as the throttle gets stabilised and the rev range between 1.5 and 2.25 the car always chokes, from 1st to 5th gear.

Already got a new set of injectors running with the same results, then got the race520 nozzles and i started to feel more the choking.

Ran an injector cleaner and some ATF with the fuel to clean/lubricate the all circuit but the problem is the same.

I did two diagnosis one with the renault can clip software and with a universal machine.
With the universal machine it detected an error: "advance timing solenoide".

Any idea what could this mean?

Reply #1June 28, 2017, 02:29:13 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: Renault Clio 1.9 DTI - Injection problem?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 02:29:13 pm »
Lack of dynamic advance would definitely make the engine fall on its face as it accelerates. A code for a dynamic advance problem sounds like a good candidate for issues.

These pumps rely on internal pressure to make the advance mechanism work. If it were me I would:

- first make sure you have no fuel supply issues. When was your filter last changed? Any evidence of air bubbles getting in to the supply line? Air will prevent the pump from building case pressure. A restricted fuel supply will likewise cause problems. You can try pulling fuel through the filter with a Mityvac, you shouldn't see more than a couple of inches of vacuum.

- check the wiring around the pump. On VWs there's a harness that chafes causing electrical problems and the timing control solenoid is one of the things that can get affected. Inspect and repair anything you find.

- the pump pressure regulator is known to fall apart on the VP37 pumps. If you google "tdi keystone mod" you'll probably find some information about that along with a fix for it.

- if none of the above are problems then you likely have an issue with the actual timing solenoid in the pump. I don't believe it can be easily accessed without pulling the pump apart though I could be wrong. At that point you might want to see if you can find another pump.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen