Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6 NA not getting fuel  (Read 15004 times)

Reply #60May 01, 2018, 12:22:19 pm

UncleDelicious

• User+

Re: 1.6 NA not getting fuel
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2018, 12:22:19 pm »
The filter is less than a year old probably. It very well could be a case of some schmutz between the filter and the tank.
My other thought is that the line is just full of air and it isn’t able to run long enough before it runs out of fuel in order to replenish the whole line.

Reply #61May 01, 2018, 10:40:08 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2018, 10:40:08 pm »
If you put a vacuum on the line at the Out bolt you should be able to draw fuel all the way up from the tank through the filter and fill the pump.  You could also spin the pump with a drill with a 19 mm socket in it on a 3/8 inch drive extension.  That requires you to remove the belt and re time the whole thing.  Not something I would want to do unless I was forced into it.  Vacuum should do it.

Reply #62May 02, 2018, 03:18:35 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2018, 03:18:35 pm »
 When you shut the engine off does fuel rush out of the pump back towards the filter?
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #63May 02, 2018, 08:34:01 pm

UncleDelicious

• User+

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2018, 08:34:01 pm »
Fuel doesn't rush out of the pump towards the filter.

I sprayed some air down the feed line and then slapped the MityVac on the out bolt to draw a vacuum. It held vacuum and pulled fuel through the pump. I primed it by cracking the injectors and cranking it, yada yada.

It idles fine now. But after a rev up it takes a little bit before the throttle will come back up. So it can idle and rev up no problem but after the first rev it will hardly rev above idle unless I wait for maybe 5-10 seconds.

I feel like I'm so close here

Reply #64May 02, 2018, 11:48:26 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2018, 11:48:26 pm »
Have you started it and just raised the RPM's up to around 2K and let it hold for a bit.  Sometimes it takes a while to move all the air out of the inside of the IP.  And yes so close and no cigar, yet.

Reply #65May 03, 2018, 12:21:33 pm

UncleDelicious

• User+

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2018, 12:21:33 pm »
I have not held the idle up. There’s no tachometer so it’s hard for me to gauge RPMs as well.
There’s some air hanging in the high spot of the return line though. But it’s got fuel directly to the pump on the return

Reply #66May 04, 2018, 12:09:26 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2018, 12:09:26 am »
 Accelerator arm on the wrong spline?
 Let's see that would mean it needs turned,..? spline stays still arm goes clockwise one spline.
 Sooo it has a clear fuel line on the front of the pump? It isn't filled with air when the engine is starving for fuel and won't rev.
 It runs well when you bottle feed it.
  You say fuel comes from the tank up the return line and into the pump?

Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #67May 04, 2018, 11:55:37 am

UncleDelicious

• User+

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2018, 11:55:37 am »
It runs the same off of a bottle or the system now. It idles and runs well, it’s just trying to get throttle response after a rev where it’s giving me problems.
When the return line doesn’t have fuel in it, fuel creeps up towards the pump from the tank
I’ll see if I can upload a video of it after work to help visualize my current issue

Reply #68May 05, 2018, 05:38:16 pm

UncleDelicious

• User+

« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2018, 05:38:16 pm »
Maybe it just had to sit and think about it for a couple nights because it seems to work fine now. I even got it up to 55 earlier

Reply #69September 03, 2018, 03:43:34 pm

UncleDelicious

• User+

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2018, 03:43:34 pm »
It's been running well and getting fuel. I had to replace one of the drum cylinders on the rear since it was sticking and it feels like it has gained a little more pizzazz since.

I got some new wheels recently too

Anyway, back to what we're here for. I decided to just add to this instead of making a new thread.

I went to change the oil and the filter will just not come off. I think I only hand tightened it down last time but I can see the gasket is bunched up in there and it won't budge. I have tried everything I can think of but there just isn't a whole lot of space in there to get much working.

-My first resort was the cup style filter wrench that goes on the end of a rachet. That thing just ends up spinning eventually
-I got a band wrench and put some sandpaper inside of that but there isn't a lot of space to get any good torque on that
-I tried stabbing a screwdriver through but again, there isn't a whole lot of space to get any torque on it

What else can I try?

I have seen an idea to put 2 eyelet bolts through the bottom and spin a screwdriver on those
It looks like I'd gain some space if I could get the front engine mount undone
It also looks like I could get the filter housing off by removing 2 bolts. The top one is right there but the bottom one seems like it might be obstructed by the filter

Reply #70September 03, 2018, 07:20:24 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2018, 07:20:24 pm »
UncleD.

Do not pull the filter flange!  In fact you can't unless you remove the filter first.  You need a new gasket if you pull the flange.

Try this.  Take a sharp, small chisel and place it on the edge of the filter up near the gasket. Hit that chisel with a sharp rap from a hammer to get a divot or a nice groove in the metal.  Then turn the chisel so you are driving off the filter with a hit in that direction.

You will be swinging towards the passenger side.  It has to be in that direction and the trick is to keep the chisel in the groove while hitting the chisel.  I use a 1/4 inch one ground to a pretty sharp edge to do this work. 

I had to do this very thing to get the fuel filter off the Caddy when I first purchased it.  It was the original on the car and it had 136 K on it already.  The PO just tagged a second one on after that first one.  I guess it was still working but barely.  Very gunky when I finally spun it off. 

Reply #71September 03, 2018, 07:56:01 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2018, 07:56:01 pm »
I've used a large pipe wrench before on the flange at the top of the filter but you might not have the necessary clearance.  The chisel method the ORCoaster mentioned works well also. 

Reply #72September 08, 2018, 08:01:35 am

UncleDelicious

• User+

« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2018, 08:01:35 am »

Try this.  Take a sharp, small chisel and place it on the edge of the filter up near the gasket. Hit that chisel with a sharp rap from a hammer to get a divot or a nice groove in the metal.  Then turn the chisel so you are driving off the filter with a hit in that direction.

This did the trick for me. The gasket was very out of shape and it took some real convincing to get the filter to start spinning.

Thanks for the tip

Reply #73September 08, 2018, 10:38:01 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2018, 10:38:01 pm »
Glad to hear it.  I use that method on nuts that round on me too.  Or ones I can't get a pair of vice grips on.

Your tool box just got another useful tool. 

Reply #74September 10, 2018, 09:01:13 pm

UncleDelicious

• User+

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2018, 09:01:13 pm »
I can't seem to get it up past 60. Some light Googling reveals that they should be able to reach the 80s with the 5 speed.

I just feel like I run out of transmission real quick.

First tops out around 15
Second gets to 25ish
Third is 35ish
Fourth is 45-50
and Fifth gets to 60

But it seems like it suddenly just hits a wall in each gear and won't go past these speeds

Is this normal or not such a quick easy answer?

S-PAutomotive.com