General Information > Troubleshooting

1.6 NA not getting fuel

(1/17) > >>

UncleDelicious:
I have been working on this Caddy that I bought and I can get it running, but only when the injection pump is pulling fuel from a fuel can directly off the injection pump line.  Once I connect the hose back to the fuel filter, it will just use up the fuel in the pump/line and not pull it from the tank in the truck.
I've tried this twice and it has run until dying with no sign of fuel in the lines around the filter. Does it require more time to draw fuel all the way from the tank up to the injection pump? Or is it possible the lines are just blocked/allowing air in?
I have read elsewhere about pressurizing the fuel return line in order to get fuel up to the filter, but to take care not to over-pressurize the fuel tank. If this is a reasonable strategy to get fuel flowing, what would one use in order to get enough pressure to push through fuel without damaging anything?

I checked around the FAQs and other threads but I didn't see the topic, so I apologize if this has been covered here on a regular basis.

drzrma:
Does your fuel filter have a vent? Are you seeing air in the line between the filter and IP when trying to pull from the tank?

Any chance you have a vacuum pump, Mighty Vac or similar like you would use for bleeding brakes? That's what I am using during my continuing adventures, and it's worked quite well for pulling fuel from the tank to the filter and for very gently pulling bubbles through the IP. Not sure how well trying to pressurize the tank would work, but no experience trying it either.

ORCoaster:
Uncle D, Sounds like your problem is either a blocked filter, a blocked line coming to the filter or an air leak in one or the other. 
So do you have fuel in the filter?  How old is that bugger?  If this rig is new to you I wouldn't trust it unless I replaced it myself. 

If you take the banjo fitting off the filter you and remove the fitting easier by cutting it off than pulling on it.  Although I have had luck using a heat gun on those old stiff lines to get it to come off.  Once you have the fitting off you and use some compressed air and blow it down the line and back flush the line to the tank.  Just remember to open up the cap on the tank at the rear of the car.  You don't want to pressurize the tank then remove the air line and have it all come spraying in your face.  That would let you know that you have an open line but I don't think you want that kind of proof.

Put it all back together and look over those copper washers on the fittings real good.  I would use some 600 grit paper and oil and rub them on it and then take a torch to them to anneal them.  Turn them blue then let them cool.  It doesn't take much heat to do that. 

Fill any filter with fuel most of the way full before you attach it to the adapter.  If you have a vacuum source as talked about by drzrma then use it.  The IP only has so much ability to pull fuel to itself.  Once the resistance, like a plugged filter gets to great it just does what you are describing. 

And I hate to even mention this but it could be the IP itself.  It is worn out or scratched inside and just can't pull fuel.  But I wouldn't go there until I knew the filter and line were clean and had low resistance.

Good luck.   ;D

vanbcguy:
It's not terribly unusual for the lift pump section of the injection pump to get sticky if it has been sitting for a while. There's some small metal vanes that pull fuel from the tank, if they stick in their slots they won't create any suction.

Essentially there's two possibilities:

1. You have a plugged line or an air leak
2. Your injection pump isn't actually pulling fuel but otherwise is operating

If it were me I'd get a can of diesel purge, run the engine on it till it's about 3/4 gone then let it sit in the pump for a day or so. Finish it off the next day and go from there. In the meantime try pulling fuel from the filter with a Mityvac or an electric lift pump; the diesel purge is totally a good thing to be doing no matter what. Sort out any fuel system issues in the meantime.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

ORCoaster:
I didn't think about stuck vanes.  That could be the very issue here.  So do the suggested cleaning and purging and I hope that solves the problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version