Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6l td hydro block and solid lifter head questions.  (Read 9203 times)

May 11, 2004, 12:20:54 pm

dieseltech

• Junior

• http://www.geocities.com/dean16v/Page_One.html
1.6l td hydro block and solid lifter head questions.
« on: May 11, 2004, 12:20:54 pm »
ok summer is here and its time for me to play with the toys i collected over the winter.
    I have all kinds of vw stuff. i want to put together a 1.6 td motor to put into a cabrio that i got with a siezed gasser motor (customer forgot to tighten the oil filter)  now i dug through my goodies and i found a 1.6l td engine with 90,000 that the timing belt had broken on, so i pulled the head, pistons are fine and deck hight is correct so i know the lower half is ok and it was running strong untill it blew the belt, never trust someone when you buy a car and they tell you that the belt and everything was done, check for yourself. now the head is in need of repair, but i am doing the low budget method and don't want to buy new parts or have the head rebuilt if i dont have to. Now i found a good head on a 85 quantum td out back, but its solid lifter. Question: will the solid lifter head work on the hydro block?
the head was replaced about 5,000 miles ago by the coustomer in an attempt to get the compression up, but the motor has 436,000miles so it was tired. but i got an almost new head btw it was a new casting head from topline.
with gas prices in new york at the $2 for cheap there is no way i am going to fix the gasser in the cabrio. its getting a td baby. with biodiesel, mmmmmm gonna make me hungry when i drive with the top down.

so anyway thats my question if it will work and what else will i need?

thanks alot.

86 td jetta power everything dd (update off the road for major resto).  97tdi bare bones, DD
and a private junkyard of various other vw/audi/bmw/peugeot/volvo/toyota diesels!!!
Cummins has the worlds record for being the most efficient engine ever!!!!!
for converting fuel into noise!

Reply #1May 11, 2004, 02:37:16 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 02:37:16 pm »
I think I ran into someone who claimed to put a 1.6D solid head on a 1.6D hydro block.  They said they drilled and tapped pipe threads then installed a pipe plug into the head where the coolant passage was above the extra oil return on the block.

Edit: if I were doing this, I would get an aluminum pipe plug (sold at musclecar performance stores like Jegs) to match the metal expansion of the aluminum head, like this one:

link to Jeg's page selling these:
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2750&prmenbr=361

I dunno, seems a little wacky, but it might just work.

I wouldn't know what sort of head gasket to use, and if it would seal the area to prevent blowby vapors from wafting out of the engine at that location!  :lol:
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #2May 11, 2004, 05:04:30 pm

dieseltech

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 05:04:30 pm »
i have headgaskets for both solid and hydro.   i will have to sit down and compare holes. i dont see why it will not work, but if i have to i will get new valves and cut the seats and hand lap them in.  i will also check into valve guides, anybody ever need to replace the guides after a timing belt break? or do they hold up?    remember i want to do this project as cheap as possable. i can custom make almost anything as far as brackets and exhaust etc.

thanks for the ideas
86 td jetta power everything dd (update off the road for major resto).  97tdi bare bones, DD
and a private junkyard of various other vw/audi/bmw/peugeot/volvo/toyota diesels!!!

Reply #3May 11, 2004, 07:51:13 pm

dieseltech

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 07:51:13 pm »
i have headgaskets for both solid and hydro.   i will have to sit down and compare holes. i dont see why it will not work, but if i have to i will get new valves and cut the seats and hand lap them in.  i will also check into valve guides, anybody ever need to replace the guides after a timing belt break? or do they hold up?    remember i want to do this project as cheap as possable. i can custom make almost anything as far as brackets and exhaust etc.

thanks for the ideas