Author Topic: Advice about old VWs  (Read 4193 times)

May 01, 2017, 12:41:05 pm

rdh_atl

Advice about old VWs
« on: May 01, 2017, 12:41:05 pm »
Hi I have a friend whose husband was a bit of a car haorder and he recently passed away. She is asking my advice about the best way to get rid of the vehicles for a fair price so I thought I would ask around on the internet.

As far as VWs, it appears they are mostly 1980s. There are:

3 diesel rabbit sedans (no pickups)
1 gasoline rabbit sedan
1 diesel golf
1 VW van
3 Sciroccos (gas)

All have been stored outside with tarps over them for a long time, probably 20 years. Most were running but had minor problems when they were parked. In general there is some rust, but restorable. The rust is not what it would have been if not covered. There are plenty of body parts that have no rust. This is located in a suburb north of Atlanta GA.

Another related question is: Is there an online used auto parts site that people use alot where it is free to post what you have? I know about the sites the junk yards use such as hollander but I don't think we have enough parts (33 vehicles) to warrant paying for their service and setting up shop as a used parts dealer.

The owner would like to sell entire vehicles if possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dave in Atlanta

Reply #1May 01, 2017, 07:28:22 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Advice about old VWs
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 07:28:22 pm »
Dave in Atlanta,

Wow 9 cars in unknown condition and state.  Price as always depends on condition.  Running equals more dollars than less.  Clean versus mildew city inside also equals more payola.  Here in the Pacific Northwest the cars tend to keep their quality as rust is not a problem except right on the ocean.  Most 1980's diesels are ranging from 1500 to 4000 depending on miles on the car and overall condition.  Gassers go for about half of that.

For a value check try using Craigslist and do a search of the Atlanta areas for VW Rabbit, VW diesel, VW golf, and just plain old VW.  Once you start seeing what the locals have for comparison purposes you can put yours out there. 

Pictures are invaluable when using Craigslist.  I just speed past those ads that do not have them.  I don't think I should have to contact the seller to get pictures later.  Show me the best of what you have and washing a car will go soo far for selling it compared to one that has 20 years of dirt embedded in the paint. 

Yes, selling these will be work.  It always is unless you can find someone to do that for you.  They will cost you as well. 

Good luck with any sales, There is a market for them so don't just dump them for cheap just to get rid of them.  Know their value prior to heading into a sale and have a set price you won't go below.  Don't be lowballed. 

Reply #2May 03, 2017, 07:59:50 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 07:59:50 am »
just my opinion, non running cars that have sat outside for 20 years aren't worth very much, i'd list them on craigslist or vw oriented facebook groups for 500 or so a piece.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #3May 03, 2017, 09:42:45 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 09:42:45 am »
I have seen non maintained vw's go for as low as $200. A well maintained vw mk1 or mk2 seems to fetch as high as $5000 nowadays in the state of Massachusetts. These vw's come from an era where maintenance was a weekly affair when they were new. Good luck with the estate sale.

Reply #4May 08, 2017, 10:47:57 am

rdh_atl

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 10:47:57 am »
Thank you for the advice. It helps alot. I like the idea of listing them for $500 each. I'm going to take some pictures today.

Fixmyvw.com