General Information > Upgrades (non engine related )

MK2 rear Cartridge Bearing upgrade UPDATED

<< < (2/2)

srgtlord:
I am very happy with  this setup. The rear bearing issue was going to be the make or break point on whether I kept the vw. No issues in the snow and no more fiddling with worn out bearings!

smutts:
I wish I had seen this years ago for my  Mk2 Golf GTD. I hated that 1974 vintage bearing set up. Never seemed to get better than 30,000 miles, no matter what I did. ;D

phonkamumblefore:
Late to the party.

I incorporated this upgrade into a rear suspension rebuild performed just last year on a Caddy project. Used the Caddy OEM backing plates, brake shoes, and hardware with the Polo stub axle, wheel bearing hub, and brake drum. All parts fit together as though it was part of the original design. Works well. One less maintenance item to be concerned with.

When I looked into doing this upgrade, it seemed that there was one other possible option to considered. The MK2 Caddy 9K Panel van has very similar 4 X 100 wheel hub bearing setup as the 6N2 Polo. In fact I asked a UK vendor I know to compare the wheel bearing hubs of the MK2 Caddy and the 6N2 Polo. The vendor stated they were exactly the same except externally for the axle diameter, which is 30mm. MK2 Caddy uses same stub axle as MK4 Golf/Jetta. I ended up not experimenting with this mix of parts and instead went with the ‘proven’ Polo 6N2 setup. If someone else is looking to do this upgrade they may want to consider experimenting with the MK2 Caddy wheel bearing hub, Mk4 stub axle, and Polo 6N2 brake drum.

MK2 Caddy wheel bearing hub part number - 6K9501477

srgtlord:
The mk2 caddy/ mk4 golf/jetta rear stub is not the same bolt pattern to the beam unfortunately  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version