S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Need a little help on my bosch 1.6TD VE injection pump please  (Read 5509 times)

Reply #15April 18, 2017, 07:10:10 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: Need a little help on my bosch 1.6TD VE injection pump please
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 07:10:10 pm »
But when installing the top with the boost lever and max fuel screw one or the other or both were interacting incorrectly with the gov lever causing the WOT. This happened installing the top about 4 or 5 times until I was more observant the last time so apparently rather easy to do.

I find that it is best to back the max fuel screw out quite a few turns, then install the top, then screw the max fuel screw back in.  That way you are not fighting against it when fitting the top.

As vanbcguy said, your idle issue is most likely the residual pressure screw pushing the lever too far. 

Reply #16April 18, 2017, 08:57:43 pm

3benny3

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 08:57:43 pm »
Is that the lever on the top that is connected to the advance lever on the engine side of the pump? Appears to cause high idle with the advance by the spring under the top connected to the gov lever. Would it need to be adjusted to release spring tension or to apply tension then lower idle?

Reply #17April 19, 2017, 01:15:45 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 01:15:45 am »
Your pump has the cold start setup that both advances the timing and increases the idle when the cold start lever is fully pulled.  That extra lever on the side is the idle adjustment and has two adjustment screws, one for the normal idle and one for the high idle when the cold start is pulled.  That isn't what you should mess with, though, to fix your irregular idle.  You should adjust the 'residual pressure' screw which is the screw that the accelerator lever rests on at idle.  You should lower it some.   

Reply #18April 19, 2017, 03:51:33 pm

3benny3

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 03:51:33 pm »
 Ok have adjusted the idle screw (residual pressure screw?) around an inch or more. Have changed the max fuel screw from can't hardly build any boost at all to easily make black smoke when ever I want. Even adjusted the high idle of the advance to hold a higher idle to all the way off. If its idling around 800ish it will come back from a rev, but if I get it up around 1000 where it should be it'll get hung up around 1200 after a small rev or 1800 after a larger rev. Also adjusting idle to 950 where I'd like it is about impossible. Can turn it up from 800 and after several turns out just jumps up over 1000, like a dead spot between. Have tried adjusting the idle with the idle screw and the max fuel screw but seems to have dead spot then jumps up either way. Best way to reach 950 has been to adjust high idle off of the advance.

Noticed some air bubbles in the feed line earlier today but fixed and have noticed no change. Will post video this evening.

Reply #19April 19, 2017, 04:10:10 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 04:10:10 pm »
Which screw are you calling the idle screw? There are 4 separate screws on your pump that all affect idle speed and behaviour in one way or another not including the max fuel screw.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #20April 19, 2017, 04:53:36 pm

3benny3

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 04:53:36 pm »
 The threaded rod on the top of the pump that changes the lower limit of the throttle arm. Have been looking around the internet for a labeled picture of the adjustment screws, but haven't really found anything useful. 

Videos:

https://goo.gl/photos/6DXeB96TsNZYCoUw8

https://goo.gl/photos/M4DB8VjNYMHd3k2s9

Reply #21April 19, 2017, 07:26:32 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 07:26:32 pm »
I looked at my prior post and I can see how it is both misleading and incomplete.  I apologize for that.  I must have been tired. 

Here's the routine... set the max fuel, lower the residual pressure so that the idle is stable at the lower 800 rpms, then adjust the main idle screw to set the idle at the appropriate speed, then set the high idle.

You need to set the max fuel first because all idle adjustments are messed up when the max fuel is adjusted.  If you have EGT gauge, then I would recommend adjusting the max fuel so that under sustained full load you hit 1200-1250°F.  Ignore the idle during this process unless the car is wanting to stall or revs hang, in which case, make a quick and dirty adjustment just to get back to getting the max fuel dialed in.

The threaded rod that the accelerator lever rests on is *not* the 'idle screw'.  It is the 'residual pressure screw'.   Attempting to use that screw to set your idle is what is causing your problem.  It is a little hard to explain...  The at-rest position of the accelerator lever needs to be where it is not engaging the intermediate/main springs of the governor capsule.  When you see that jump from 800 rpms to an inconsistent 1000+ rpms that is because you are starting to engage the intermediate spring.  You need less pressure on the governor spring capsule and then you need to bring the idle up to the desired setting by adjusting the main idle screw.  The 'idle screw' for normal operating temp is the screw that the lever on the side of the pump rests against when the cold start is pushed in.  The 'high idle screw' is the screw that the same lever rests against when the cold start lever is pulled.  Adjust the main idle spring to the desired idle rpm, then adjust the high idle screw with cold start cable pulled.  You may need to change the rod length and the adjustment of the two parts of the lever itself to get everything dialed in the way you want it. Let me know if any of that needs further clarification.

Reply #22April 19, 2017, 09:31:18 pm

3benny3

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 09:31:18 pm »
 Thank you thank you! What a clear explanation/tutorial. Should be able to get it dialed in first thing in the morning.

Side question; what is a safe EGT temp to run continuous? (Pre turbo sender location) I usually try and stay below 1k never over 1100 very long and pretty much never hit 1200. Use to the Cummins where I pretty much never ever hit 1k, the little VW seems to like to get hotter though. Have the T3 and usually run around 6lbs max normal driving up a hill, 15lbs if I'm trying. Have thought about adding an inner cooler but not sure if its worth the hassel.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 09:39:26 pm by 3benny3 »

Reply #23April 20, 2017, 01:10:26 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 01:10:26 am »
I believe that if measuring pre-turbine with a fast-acting and accurate gauge that 1250°F sustained is fine.

If you're limiting to 15 psi max boost, intercooling would give some gains.  If you decide to run more boost than that, you will want to intercool it first.  If you're happy with the performance as is, then there's nothing wrong with just driving it.