Author Topic: 1.6 TD JR k14, DP to back exhaust  (Read 3843 times)

April 07, 2017, 06:36:03 pm

kljaja

• User+

1.6 TD JR k14, DP to back exhaust
« on: April 07, 2017, 06:36:03 pm »
Hello!
I havent found a relevant topic i could bump to ask a question.
I have a 1.6 TD JR with kkk k14 (watercooled). Turbo has minimal play, seems to be in good condition. Recently changed injector nozzles to  Bosch ones and set them up to 155 bar (also 2 injector bodies were bad, wouldnt create mist at slow pressure build but "pee" out diesel). Did a compression check and it was 30, 30.5, 31 and 33 bar ( ~450 psi), it does loose some oil, my odometer doesnt work so i don't know exactly how much but id say up to half a quart every 2 tanks of diesel (puffs bluish smoke when pulling at green light or WOT after cruising at 35-40mph ( 60-65k) in 5th). Althogether it seems to be in allright condition - only oil consumption problem (that id blame on bad valve stems) but it doesnt go as well as it should and i'd like to give it some beans.

The problem:
car is converted from N/A to TD, and it has stock N/A exhaust from toilet bowl to back. Turbo seems to spin pretty late and it blows fair amount of black smoke but lacks performance. My guess is NA pipes are even thinner than stock TD ones??
I'm a pretty poor but i'd like to do exhaust on it, im not a mechanic or a welder so id let a shop do it. I can save some money for a 2.5" straight pipe, but making a dowpipe is more expensive than whole rest of the system.
Does it make any sense to run a straight pipe with stock downpipe? Are there any performance/driveability/consumption gains from it? How loud would it be to run it without muffler?
I'd like to give it a bit more fuel and boost ~14psi /1 bar with a bit of smoke...

Did anyone do a simmilar thing and notice any gain except turbo sounds??

Going fast never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, thats what gets ya

Reply #1April 07, 2017, 06:48:58 pm

Jo3kr

• User+

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 06:48:58 pm »
Hello!
I havent found a relevant topic i could bump to ask a question.
I have a 1.6 TD JR with kkk k14 (watercooled). Turbo has minimal play, seems to be in good condition. Recently changed injector nozzles to  Bosch ones and set them up to 155 bar (also 2 injector bodies were bad, wouldnt create mist at slow pressure build but "pee" out diesel). Did a compression check and it was 30, 30.5, 31 and 33 bar ( ~450 psi), it does loose some oil, my odometer doesnt work so i don't know exactly how much but id say up to half a quart every 2 tanks of diesel (puffs bluish smoke when pulling at green light or WOT after cruising at 35-40mph ( 60-65k) in 5th). Althogether it seems to be in allright condition - only oil consumption problem (that id blame on bad valve stems) but it doesnt go as well as it should and i'd like to give it some beans.

The problem:
car is converted from N/A to TD, and it has stock N/A exhaust from toilet bowl to back. Turbo seems to spin pretty late and it blows fair amount of black smoke but lacks performance. My guess is NA pipes are even thinner than stock TD ones??
I'm a pretty poor but i'd like to do exhaust on it, im not a mechanic or a welder so id let a shop do it. I can save some money for a 2.5" straight pipe, but making a dowpipe is more expensive than whole rest of the system.
Does it make any sense to run a straight pipe with stock downpipe? Are there any performance/driveability/consumption gains from it? How loud would it be to run it without muffler?
I'd like to give it a bit more fuel and boost ~14psi /1 bar with a bit of smoke...

Did anyone do a simmilar thing and notice any gain except turbo sounds??

The whole exhaust is super restrictive 2.5 inch downpipe back would be a hell of an upgrade. The stock stuff is like 1.5 inch if that.

My MK1 is running a 3 inch downpipe which wasn't too bad to setup. It was just a couple 90 degree pipes cut and welded to where it would work and in return I got MUCH lower EGTs which in return means you can run more boost to limit the smoke and save your motor from torture of the heat.

Here's a pic off the internet of a 2.5 downpipe someone bought or made which is similar to mine. I think I had maybe $50 in my downpipe with flex pipe and the piping itself. The only problem your going to come across is the existing downpipe is cast and you can't do anything with it except have a flange made. 

My car isn't too loud as some of the ricey Hondas with my exhaust the turbo really quiets things down. A turbo is somewhat of a muffler itself.

Forgot to mention the stock downpipe off a 1.6TD is worth $150-$200 so you can sell it to recoup some of the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 06:53:55 pm by Jo3kr »

Reply #2April 08, 2017, 06:59:32 am

kljaja

• User+

Re: 1.6 TD JR k14, DP to back exhaust
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 06:59:32 am »
Stock downlipe worth 150-200$ ?? To who? Ill sell mine right away as i can pay for whole system with that :D

It does seem simple but exhaust shop wouldnt price their parts and labour that cheap...more like 150$ for DP, and 150$ more for rest of the system..

Turbo to DP flange is pretty straight forward, but what to use between custom DP and rest of exhaust to connect it, and lower cost as much as possible?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 07:08:13 am by kljaja »
Going fast never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, thats what gets ya

Reply #3April 10, 2017, 05:11:31 pm

Tmarkle

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 05:11:31 pm »
I've done all my own exhaust work for a long time, and I've learned that sometimes you just have to get creative! ;D For my cummins its convenient to just buy a complete kit, but as far as I know there isn't many if any available for these cars. If you don't have a welder, you can buy all the couplers and clamps from NAPA, O'reilly's, Autozone, an exhaust shop or whatever. I know some here may not like flex-pipe but I've had plenty of good luck using it to connect at weird angles/distances. I am in the same boat as you because I'm going to be adding a turbo to my 1.6NA soon. I will use a K03 and haven't quite decided what size of downpipe to use. ??? If you are looking for a low cost solution to attach the downpipe to the rest of the exhaust, I'd say flex-pipe and maybe an adapter depending on size.
1985 Jetta 1.6 NA, Project
1981 Rabbit 1.5 diesel SOLD
1980 Dasher, also a project
1993 Passat GLX VR6 (daily driver)
1992 Toyota Pickup, 350 V8 swapped
1997 Jetta TDI, engine donor for a diesel powered Toyota!
1986 Toyota Custom Cab

Reply #4April 10, 2017, 05:14:36 pm

Jo3kr

• User+

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 05:14:36 pm »
Stock downlipe worth 150-200$ ?? To who? Ill sell mine right away as i can pay for whole system with that :D

It does seem simple but exhaust shop wouldnt price their parts and labour that cheap...more like 150$ for DP, and 150$ more for rest of the system..

Turbo to DP flange is pretty straight forward, but what to use between custom DP and rest of exhaust to connect it, and lower cost as much as possible?

Yep stock DP is indeed worth that. I myself have sold them for that price. No idea why I suppose cause it's cast and can break? A lot of people like originality too.

And I've never had a problem with a flexpipe. It's also good to have if you need some extra wiggle room 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 05:17:39 pm by Jo3kr »

Reply #5April 10, 2017, 07:10:50 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 07:10:50 pm »
The stock TD cast downpipe sells at auction on ebay for $20ish or less.  If you're selling them for $150 you're seriously ripping people off.  If anyone is buying at that price they are total suckers. 

Reply #6April 11, 2017, 02:31:17 pm

kljaja

• User+

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 02:31:17 pm »
Tnx for replies.

Mostly wanted to know how much gains i get from bigger downpipe compared to stock one, so i can justify the buck ive spent on it as im college student in poor part of europe...

Reply #7April 11, 2017, 05:20:30 pm

Tmarkle

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 05:20:30 pm »
Tnx for replies.

Mostly wanted to know how much gains i get from bigger downpipe compared to stock one, so i can justify the buck ive spent on it as im college student in poor part of europe...
You'll notice a nice power gain, especially if your exhaust is as small as it sounds. Diesels don't like back pressure.
1985 Jetta 1.6 NA, Project
1981 Rabbit 1.5 diesel SOLD
1980 Dasher, also a project
1993 Passat GLX VR6 (daily driver)
1992 Toyota Pickup, 350 V8 swapped
1997 Jetta TDI, engine donor for a diesel powered Toyota!
1986 Toyota Custom Cab

Reply #8April 12, 2017, 12:48:00 pm

kljaja

• User+

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 12:48:00 pm »
So, i've been to exhaust shop today, offer was 185$ with their turbo flange and flex pipe + pipes and labour turbo-back, or 130$ if i bring my own flex pipe and flange. It seems ill do a full turbo back 60mm / 2.5" when i get the flange done and flex pipe and then consult my finances  ;D

Now need to get dimensions for k14 exhaust side flange...Anyone has them? Drawing maybe?
bolt spread is 71mm outer, its m10 if im not mistaken, exit is 60mm ID but id like to have exact nubers..
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 01:20:32 pm by kljaja »

Reply #9April 12, 2017, 06:53:18 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 06:53:18 pm »
K14 turbo to downpipe connection uses m8 studs.  The stud locations are in a square.  From stud center to stud center on a side is 63mm.   

Reply #10April 17, 2017, 03:03:42 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 03:03:42 pm »
While I agree that the stock exhaust system is restrictive and there are gains to be had by opening it up, you may just want to pop your exhaust off at the toilet bowl connection and see what kind of changes you notice. It may or may not be worth the money. Try and get some before and after video so you can actually compare the differences. The loudness of no exhaust will trick you. You may have other issues causing the slow spool up (timing? etc).
Tyler

Reply #11April 17, 2017, 06:44:29 pm

kljaja

• User+

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 06:44:29 pm »
Well, offer to do the whole turbo back is good eough not to bother with toiletbowl back setup. Car has stock NA exhaust (was NA in original), not stock TD. Not sure if those are different, but ive measured 40-45mm outside diameter, and that sucks for sure!

Ill report back when system is done in a week or two, gotta get flange made and w8ing for flex pipe

Reply #12May 04, 2017, 02:11:50 pm

kljaja

• User+

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 02:11:50 pm »
Made a flange for it:

i hope it'll hold, it isnt really state of art  ;D , outside edges around the bolt holes are pretty thin...

Im going to the shop tommorrow, I'll get a video of 2nd and 3rd gear pull if i remember to do it, so i can compare it after :)
Pretty excited i must say..

Reply #13May 05, 2017, 11:36:53 am

kljaja

• User+

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 11:36:53 am »
It's done!
Car spools SO much faster!! Engine is much much quiet at 45-50mph, it used to sound like its under lots of stress even when cruising. Seems to smoke a lot less under throttle.
Sound is 7/10, a bit too much farting ( ;D) noise like a gasser or NA, i think its because its not stainless all the way. Turbo noises 10/10  8) ;D
Whole thing cost me 162$ (done in a shop)

Sorry for lots of pics, I shouldve started build log and maybe posti it there...

Few minor things need sorting, then fitting FMIC out of 59kw / 80hp TD IC Passat and let the hunt for 90-100hp begin :)

UPDATE (may 8th)

- after few drives in city its too loud at 1/2 or full throttle. If i get pulled over im losing the plates, getting a ticket and so on...ill throw in a silencer on it..

« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:15:26 am by kljaja »

Fixmyvw.com