S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: gauge cluster  (Read 4729 times)

March 20, 2017, 09:41:04 pm

delsilver

gauge cluster
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:41:04 pm »
My gauge cluster is flashing the air bag warning light and just started flashing the brake warning light.
My car is a 97 Jetta IDI canadian model.
I don't have an airbag and can't see a problem with the brakes so feel this must be due to cold solder joints I have seen discussed.
I have an opportunity to purchase a cluster that I could resolder as required and install in place of my old cluster.
The dials on the cluster i am looking at have a white face which i like better than the black face on my current.
I have 2 questions, the one i am looking at is off a gas engine, will the tach work on my IDI and does the recorded mileage stay on the cluster or is their a computer memory in my car that records this information
Thanks in advance
Del

Reply #1March 21, 2017, 03:51:02 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: gauge cluster
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 03:51:02 am »
The airbag light wouldn't be connected or labeled if the car didn't have airbags. But then again, VW never put the white faced gauges in diesel equipped cars. I don't believe you have the original cluster for the car.

Do you have a glowplug light? If not your airbag light is probably supposed to be your glowplug light.

Are you sure it's an IDI (AAZ) and not a TDI? The flashing lights would potentially make sense with a TDI with either burned out brake lights or a defective brake light switch.

The mileage displayed on a Mk3 is stored only in the cluster itself. I don't believe it is stored in the ECU on cars so equipped until the Mk4 platform, which also has computer controlled gauges.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #2March 21, 2017, 04:27:57 am

delsilver

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 04:27:57 am »
The engine has all the appearances of an AAZ engine mechanical clutch, cold start assist, valve cover, no intercooler and short 90 deg elbow direct from turbo to intake.  The tag on the fuel tank inspection plate indicates AAZ and the print out i got from VW indicates AAZ.  This print out also indicates no airbag, which was still an option.
I do have a glowplug indicator which works on startup in the morning although it does not come on when the ambient temp is above 5 deg C.
The engines idles at about 1100 RPM till warmed up then slows to about 950.
There is no EGR valve which is absent on some of the AAZ engines.
The only emblem on the steering wheel is a horn, it does not say airbag or SRS and the shape is different from airbag equipped cars.
This is a very basic car, hand crank windows and no key lock on the passenger door.
For all of these reasons I believe the faulty solder joints are the problem.
My cluster does have black face dials and other than the intermittant indicator lights works fine, my question was will the tach in a cluster off a gas engine which has white face work on my diesel.
Del

Reply #3March 21, 2017, 05:02:51 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 05:02:51 pm »
OK - interesting - still seems strange that there would be an airbag light on a cluster for a vehicle that didn't have an airbag. That's not something that I would typically expect VW to do. I'm not saying I think you actually do have an airbag, I'm saying I expect you probably have the wrong cluster in there now. Or you HAD an airbag and someone removed it...

The AAZ cluster receives its RPM signal from the alternator. It is a much higher frequency signal than the RPM signal from a gasser.  The tach from a gasser won't work unfortunately. There are adapter boxes available (Dakota Digital being the most popular) which will convert the alternator tach signal to a more typical gasser signal. Those boxes will cost as much as getting your cluster repaired though.

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #4March 21, 2017, 11:02:49 pm

delsilver

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 11:02:49 pm »
Appreciate the reply, that is what i needed to know.
I will pull the cluster and solder it up.
I have to do the diverter door and will do the cluster at the same time.
Thanks for the help
Del

Fixmyvw.com