Author Topic: Lithium Jump Starter  (Read 3483 times)

March 09, 2017, 07:30:34 pm

thomas m

• Junior

Lithium Jump Starter
« on: March 09, 2017, 07:30:34 pm »
Will these lithium jump starters work on our small diesel engines?? Or will the 50 or so amps of glow plug draw, maybe 2 or 3 times, suck most of the charge out of it and make it impossible to draw the heavy current for starting?? Say one rated at 12000 mah.

Comments??

Thomas, Original owner since new:
1991 MK2 Jetta Non-turbo 1.6 diesel, Engine Code ME, 5 speed 020 AWY 04120 transmission, Hydraulic Lifters,
320,000 miles
LOOKING FOR REBUILD OPTIONS IN PORTLAND, OR OR ON THE WEST COAST

Reply #1March 09, 2017, 10:38:01 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Lithium Jump Starter
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 10:38:01 pm »
Are you looking at something like this?

https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/Jump-N-Carry-1700-Peak-Amp-12-Volt-Jump-Starter-P48201.aspx

If so I can tell you that it works just fine on my 1.6 NA.  I was having issues with a battery last winter and so a buddy lent me one like this to be sure I would get home as I had a couple of stops in between.  It allowed me two cycles on the glows and turned it over just fine.  I now keep it charged up in the back of the car to allow quick jumps on other folks vehicles.  But I also have a set of cables. 

I also use it for the power plug for a portable air pump I have.  Seems like there are a lot of low pressured tires in this potholed town. 

You can plug this pack into the power outlet in the car and recharge it as you drive or take it in the house and charge it with the 120 line. 

Great addition to the survival pack in the back of the car.  Get ONE.  I can't imagine how many hours you could run a phone off one of these if the power went out on ya.

Reply #2March 09, 2017, 11:48:52 pm

thomas m

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 11:48:52 pm »
OrCoaster

You've got the idea of my intended use. I have been carrying an extra full sized battery and jumper cables, especially when heading off to the backcountry.

No....more like this:  https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lithium+jump+starter

These are quite small and are suppose to be good for many starts. They are designed around lithium power cells. Not sure if they are actually "batteries", but rather some sort of capacitor device. Many options, many prices.

Maybe someone else in the diesel group has had some experience with the lithium type.

1991 MK2 Jetta Non-turbo 1.6 diesel, Engine Code ME, 5 speed 020 AWY 04120 transmission, Hydraulic Lifters,
320,000 miles

Reply #3March 10, 2017, 12:15:59 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 12:15:59 am »
Looking over that site I see a lot of confusion in terms.  Amp hr, milliamp hr. Amps and that sort of thing.  I would be more inclined to carry the spare full sized battery to the back country.  Especially if it was going to get cold on you.

The storage of electricity is a strange business right now.  Those short shots of voltage might get a regular car to turn over enough to fire it up but knowing the demands of the 4 glow plugs and the pull required by the starter to get over the torque of a diesel all I can say is more is better.  That is why I went with the largest one I could find. 

I have not tried to use the solar powered trickle charger on the JNC.  I keep that plugged into the power outlet to keep the diesel battery up as I no longer have to drive it daily.  Retired and walking instead. It might be an option and have some use as well for charging other electronics while away from the grid. 

Reply #4March 10, 2017, 12:51:41 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 12:51:41 am »
Most booster pack type devices work best if you hook them up to a low battery and then let it sit for a while. The booster pack usually can't deliver energy as fast as a cranking battery; allowing the booster pack to transfer some energy to the starting battery before starting gives much better results.

Most lithium batteries can't supply more than about 30 tines their overall amp-hour capacity in terms of peak current - there's a "C" rating you'll find on hobby batteries for instance. A 12 Ah (12000 mAh) typical 30C lithium polymer battery will provide 360 amps maximum, which it would only be capable of doing for less than 2 minutes before being fully discharged. Realistically you'll damage a lipo battery if you take it below 20% so a bit over a minute and a half is all you'd have to work with at full power.

A TDI starter is 2kW, so more like 160 amps. That would double the time you'd get since you're only using half the capacity, you're at about 3.5 minutes of cranking time assuming no glow plugs and nothing whatsoever from the original battery.

A 30 second glow plug cycle would use less than 0.5 Ah, not all that significant really. If you have to cycle a couple of times and the engine doesn't catch on the first try you're possibly SOL, but the math says a true 12 Ah battery pack will probably be enough to start a healthy TDI a couple of times, assuming it cranks and fires in a few seconds.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #5March 12, 2017, 12:29:06 pm

thomas m

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 12:29:06 pm »
Different technology here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D3A9748/ref=twister_B01CR78C3A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This type stores power in a bank of capacitors. Apparently, according to the review, this device can be quite dangerous. It doesn't have the safety circuits of the lithium jump starters.

However, it does offer a device that does not depend on exotic metal, i.e., lithium. I've read that there is only a 8 year supply of this metal left at current use rates. "Peak Lithium" I guess one could call it.

Read the review.

320,000 miles

Reply #6March 12, 2017, 03:56:03 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 03:56:03 pm »
Like I mentioned the storage of electricity is getting very strange right now.  That none battery one is a great example of the diversity out there.  But that pack is for serious and capable folks for sure.  Maybe those in the business of jumping cars all the time.  There are no safety capabilities built into that one.  But it is only 10 lbs and doesn't need exotic metals of a limited nature to function.  So it that is what you want to support by all means buy it.  There is no better way to support that tech then with cash.

I am not sure how many times or how long the charge lasts on those.  I would have to read around on that first.  But with some of those types or the smaller units you get limited cranking and then you need to recharge on a second vehicle or at home.  If you are by yourself that might be a problem.  If you want to use it for some other power device or charge your electronics that style won't do.  Again you have to decide on what it is you need, how you intend to use it and what your money will support.

Great find though.  How many of these can you link up to power a Prius for a 30 mile commute both ways? 

Reply #7March 13, 2017, 09:16:53 pm

thomas m

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 09:16:53 pm »
My tendency is go with redundancy. I think I'll steer clear of the capacitor type  jump starter and go lithium with the safety features.
Nevertheless, the big lead battery goes along into the back country. Try the lithium jump starter first, if no-go, hook up the big guy.
Half of my trunk if filled with spare-this and spare-that when I head out. Besides, the jump starter would probably be convenient in the city rather than jumper cables and it would be much handier if someone else needed a jump. Heck, I carry a cell phone and a ham radio !!!
320,000 miles

Reply #8March 13, 2017, 11:52:04 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 11:52:04 pm »
Always be prepared.  That way you can help those that can't help themselves.  Sometimes you do need self service but you are able to provide if you just plan for it.  Good for you.  Must have been a Boy Scout.

S-PAutomotive.com