Author Topic: 1.6 n/a going through oil  (Read 4225 times)

March 08, 2017, 04:24:11 pm

Hiacoboni

1.6 n/a going through oil
« on: March 08, 2017, 04:24:11 pm »
I bought my MK2 Jetta in January and after putting a couple thousand miles on it or so it has started to burn through oil. I've noticed recently that it has been smoking white when I'm on the highway not to heavy but enough to raise suspicions, and every time I fill up around 200-250 miles I'm having to put atleast a quart of oil if not more into the motor. could this be a blown head gasket? or would this be something more like the piston rings or a valve issue?

1989 Jetta n.a 1.6

Reply #1March 08, 2017, 05:11:02 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: 1.6 n/a going through oil
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 05:11:02 pm »
If your coolant reservoir stays full but oil is consumed I would suspect rings.  Can you do a compression check on it?  That would help to know psi per cylinder.

Reply #2March 08, 2017, 06:36:40 pm

Hiacoboni

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 06:36:40 pm »
i was planning on doing a leak down test but if a compression test is better ill probably end up doing that. i wont be able to get to it really until late march now that i have to travel out of town. but i will come back with an update. the coolant level is fine and shows no signs of oil. if it comes down to being the rings do you or anyone have a preference of who the would buy them from.
1989 Jetta n.a 1.6

Reply #3March 08, 2017, 10:57:43 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 10:57:43 pm »
When I rebuilt my 1.6 NA I used the Goetez ones.  I think I spent 25 bucks for the set but can't for the life of me find a receipt for  them.  So maybe Rock Auto or maybe AZ Autohauz.  Plenty of places to find them. 

Reply #4March 23, 2017, 07:54:25 pm

Hiacoboni

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 07:54:25 pm »
When you rebuilt your motor. How long did it take and do you have any tips. I'm used to working in big caterpillar engines and this will be my first time working on a small engine like this
1989 Jetta n.a 1.6

Reply #5March 23, 2017, 11:35:30 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 11:35:30 pm »
At the time I was working and had to set it up at a buddies place on one weekend and then come back and finish it the second.  The engine can be removed in about 4 hours time for me.  I have to part it out of the engine bay, head, and intakes off first then get in and hoist out the engine block with someone on the other side of a couple of 2 by 4s.  I suppose it would go faster if I had a lift but that would mean renting it for two weekends and the wood method seems to  do the job. 

I got lucky and did not have to have the cylinders bored so I could hone them and get the ridge off the top of the cylinder without too much effort.  Cleaning piston ring grooves using a special tool seemed to take a long time as I had plenty of buildup under the bad rings.  I had some broken too but they were mostly stuck in place and not doing much good for anything.
Cleaning one of those large Cat pistons might be faster than the VW's because you can see in those grooves better.  But they are three times the distance around, so maybe not.

Getting the engine out of the car seems to aid in making speed on the lower end.  You can clean, see and work on those nuts and screws so much better than in the bay. 

The engine is pretty simple in my opinion so that makes it go faster.  Not a ton of little pieces.

I had the head rebuilt once and the mechanic took the job with the understanding that I needed it back in a week but somehow he forgot all that.  When I would call and tell him I was going to be at his shop just before closing he would agree to that but then I would find a sign on the window.  Gone home early or will return Monday morning.  I was working in a town that was a 4.5 hr drive from his shop and I was wondering if I would ever be able to get that head back.  It took a month and finally I did only to find he didn't adjust the valve clearances or switched the Intake and Exhaust numbers.  I almost broke a new valve on start up as it advanced just enough on Rev up to really make it noticeable.  I hit the key directly and started in with a feeler gauge and found #2 cylinder was smacking the top of the piston.  Changed the shims as I had those available and could do so to get it running. 

He pulled the doors shut on his business a month later and I never did get down there to chew on him about it. 

Reply #6March 25, 2017, 06:34:46 pm

Hiacoboni

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 06:34:46 pm »
welp. i'm pretty sure my motor locked up or just decided to nuke itself on my way to my buddies house. soo I'm now looking to just replace the whole motor. I want to switch to a TDI but don't know where to start now. ORCoaster you seem to be very knowledgeable when it comes to these motors. would I have to swap my tranny if I buy a TDI?
1989 Jetta n.a 1.6

Reply #7March 25, 2017, 09:43:59 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 09:43:59 pm »
I will have to declare my lack of knowledge on swapping here.  Others do a better job on that.  I have not played with the TDI enough to know  it well.  I am thinking that it is pretty much a drop swap as the block was the same just the delivery mechanism was a wee bit different.  But don't quote me on that.

Fixmyvw.com