S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: "Best" Engine Mount Solution  (Read 3489 times)

March 08, 2017, 12:47:25 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
"Best" Engine Mount Solution
« on: March 08, 2017, 12:47:25 pm »
The time has finally come for me to drop my M-TDI in to my B3 and yank the AAZ...

Right now, with the AAZ and whatever worn out mounts are in the car, vibration is quite an issue. The steering wheel shakes, anything in the door pockets rattles like crazy, different parts of the car vibrate depending on RPM pretty good. It's naturally worse when cold.

My MTDI is a torque monster. In the Jetta I went through a few different front mounts until I settled on a BFI Stealth mount - the Stage 0.5 tried to shake the car to bits, the stock OEM mount allowed so much engine movement you could feel it slop around when you accelerated.

My plan so far is to swap a VR6/TDI front crossmember in so I can keep the Stealth front mount. That leaves the two rear mounts though... I'm not changing the K-member, I've already had my suspension rebuilt. So I have a Mk2 style right rear mount to deal with.

I see there are not really many options for the Mk2 platform. Looks like there's a stock hydraulic mount available for about $150, there's various rubber mounts available for less and there's some very expensive Vibratecnics mounts available. Transmission mounts are looking pretty straight forward.

I'm after a solution that will minimize vibration - this is a family car. I do however need to restrain quite a bit of torque here. I'm thinking of going for the hydro mk2 rear mount plus seeing if I can find a hydro transmission mount.

Thoughts?

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #1March 10, 2017, 10:53:56 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: "Best" Engine Mount Solution
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 10:53:56 am »
I run a poly trans mount, G60 front rubber mount and the prothane insert in the rubber rear engine mount. At first it will make your teeth itch, but after a few hundred miles the rear mount will loosen up and it will be ok. I put the rear insert in and went up the road 1 mile and back and took it out. I had a brand new rubber mount, after a few thousand miles the rubber mount was worn and the engine was rocking, so I put it in. After a few hundred miles it loosened up and is ok. Really it was only bad during idle anyway,  but it was horrible at idle, not just bad.