Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: I bought a 1982 VW Rabbit 1.6L DIESEL PICKUP. complete newcomer to VW, diesels,  (Read 5177 times)

February 27, 2017, 03:28:25 pm

wally

• Pictures of my 1982 VW Rabbit Pick-up 1.6L D w/5spd Man Flickr
Hello All.
I bought a 1982 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.6L Diesel w/ 5 spd Manual.
1st of all- is this the proper forum? Is this vehicle considered MK1 and how common is the term Caddy to describe this vehicle?
I am new to VW, Diesel, and project vehicles. I am doing all the repairs myself. I have done minor repairs on my previous vehicles so I know a few things.
It as 260K. It was parked for the previous 4 years.
Some of what I have done-
replaced all tires
replaced fuel and oil filters and did an oil change
replaced cracked fuel line from filter to Fuel Injector pump
replaced leaky fuel lines on return ports- still some leaking around 1 or 2
replaced wiper motor
replaced washer motor and reservoir
replaced Alternator belt
replaced fuses
Also, Oil light is on but the oil pressure gauge mounted near my knee shows good oil pressure.
defrost fan wiring is shot and the fan may be bad too.
other wires and connections loose or broke off
2 inner cv boots bad
2 steering rack boots bad.
It took 5-10 minutes to start and stay running and smoked a lot for several minutes so I bought 4 new glow plugs. in the process of checking for current going to glow plugs I found the main wire coming into the first glow plug wiggled and was very loose. After tightening it, the pickup starts right away now with a little smoke and stays running.
I am in Minnesota and running #1 Diesel in it.  I drove it out of town this past weekend and put about 350( almost all highway)  miles  on it but I am only averaging 30 Mpg.
Is the poor mileage related to the injectors?
Any suggestions on what I need to fix/clean/replace now?
Thanks

Reply #1February 27, 2017, 05:00:39 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
Yep, MK1.
Yep, Caddy.

These are very easy to work on. Even a lightweight hobbiest can do most of the work... if you can change brake shoes/pads or ball joints you can handle most of the procedures for these rigs.

Next,
I'd get:
Robert Bentley service manual
Timing tools
Compression testing tools
Timing belt and tensioner pulley
V-belts
G60 valve cover gasket and studs
Clear tygon fuel line

All the above are used to replace the timing belt and for simple tuning/diagnosis. 

The clear fuel line is for between the filter and the IP (injection pump), and for after the IP for about a foot. If you can see any bubbles or haze in the lines, the engine will probably not run as well as it could. This is always the first test.

For comparison, My caddy got over 50mpg (US) highway, mostly due to its light weight (and sensible speed).

Welcome aboard.
TD

Reply #2February 27, 2017, 05:58:42 pm

wally

Thank you
I just purchased Volkswagen Rabbit, Jetta (A1) Diesel Service Manual: 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1984
Bentley Publishers and VW Rabbit Diesel 1977 thru 1984 (Haynes Manuals)
Haynes, John. The Haynes one i added because it was less than $3. I am trying to find some compression testing equipment now and will be purchasing more of the items as I go along.
Impressive mileage on yours :)
Thanks again

Reply #3February 27, 2017, 10:50:06 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Wally, Welcome to the forum.  Yes you found the right one for your antique.

When it comes to working on these rigs you have to know that they need attention of sorts all the time.  Not just to keep them running but we tend to desire more from them than VW built in.  Hence, more power or best mileage with comfort and dependability.  You won't travel quiet or in a speedy manner unless you go turbo on us.  But you will have the satisfaction of driving one of the better engineered vehicles made at the time. 

You mileage is low but for now run some tanks of fuel through it and see what happens.  Injectors sitting for years may not be performing as they should.  In fact all of the engine and bearings and such might need some miles on them to make them work as they should.  And a word of caution because you found a sitter you need to watch things like front and rear bearings.  I would be pulling them out and cleaning and inspecting them and then repack em if good.  Most of us keep spare parts on these things and there is a For Sale part to this forum that you might find helpful. 

When it comes to buying tools you have to remember that you now own a diesel and not a gasser.  That means a lot when it comes to tools.  You have to get the right stuff.  Like a diesel compression gauge that goes to much higher PSI than a normal gas engine.  Timing is going to be a bugger unless you get some basic tools.  There is a part of the forum in the sticky part of the site that might show you some of the options we use for the proper tools.  I for one use a door hinge in place of the cam lock tool.  Fits perfect on my 81 Rabbit.

So read that Bentley and don't be afraid to ask questions of us.  We intend to help the best we can with the media we have.  Pictures are great but you need to have something like Photo Bucket or another service to upload them here.  Read the first part of the forum section for the FAQ that will be a great start for you.  In doing so you will likely be ahead of the pack as most don't read it and we just end up sending them there for the answers anyway.

Again Welcome and good choice on saving a VW.

Reply #4March 03, 2017, 09:56:57 am

wally

Thank you.
I have learned quickly that if I want this pickup to last I will need to replace and maintain a lot of different things. I keep telling myself that it is a "labor of love" LOL
I received the Bentley Volkswagen Rabbit, Jetta Diesel service manual for 1977-1984 yesterday and have been reading it. I think it will be indispensable.
Thanks again

Reply #5March 04, 2017, 09:26:35 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

Welcome to the club! The 1.6 diesel motors last a good deal of time if maintained properly. It's very possible the motor will outlive the truck itself.

Reply #6March 04, 2017, 09:20:53 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

If it sat for 4 years and you don't know how old the timing belt was at the time, then I would park it until the timing belt and tensioner are replaced.

Reply #7March 05, 2017, 11:25:48 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
^^Agree.

It's full-immersion baptism if you DIY; but you gotta learn sometime and it's much more fun when you don't have a trashed engine.

Fixmyvw.com