Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: turbo play  (Read 1604 times)

February 23, 2017, 10:27:24 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

turbo play
« on: February 23, 2017, 10:27:24 pm »
I didn't want to clutter the swap guide thread I started so figured I would just post here quickly.

I bought a he211w used from china on ebay. The seller claims the turbo was never run on a vehicle and from what I understand was only used for testing on a dyno I believe (bit of a language barrier in our talks).

After 6 business days it arrived today (way faster then expected) and physically its extremely clean. No noticeable oil leaking from it, the exhaust inlet/outlet have 0 soot and my finger comes away clean when wiping inside them. The exhaust side of the housing was painted black and is starting to peel off in places but there is 0 rust on it. There is practically no in and out play, however there is maybe 1/8" of up and down and it looks like the cold side of the shaft has slightly more play then the exhaust side but it doesnt look like the blades touch the housing but they come extremely close. Is this normal or anything to worry about? It doesnt look like the housing is worn around the blades.

I'd post pics but my cell phone, and my backup cell phone both *** the bed this week  ::)

I'm also shocked by how small this turbo is! Its quite a bit smaller then the k24 I have on the aaz right now.

Reply #1February 24, 2017, 08:28:23 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: turbo play
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 08:28:23 am »
compare the play to your k24.  up and down play is normal even on a totally new turbo but 1/8 sounds like a bit more than i'd want to see, but not an extreme amount of play. if it's not touching the housing you are probably ok
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #2February 24, 2017, 09:04:34 am

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 09:04:34 am »
its hard to tell exactly. I think I may have been exaggerating a bit, its probably closer to 1/16". Pushing the blades to the one side causes them to be extremely close to the housing while the gap on the other end is maybe 1/16". I think its good, just worrying for no reason.

Reply #3February 24, 2017, 10:00:46 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 10:00:46 pm »
If it has no up and down play the bearing is coked up. It should have up and down play

Reply #4February 26, 2017, 02:10:23 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 02:10:23 pm »
Sounds like a relatively unused turbo! When there's no oil pressure it'll move radially a fair bit - during operation that slack is taken up by oil, plus it operates at a much higher temperature. It should have no axial play - if it does the thrust bearing is bad.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen