Author Topic: Injection Pump Hanging  (Read 2056 times)

February 20, 2017, 01:20:13 am

Jo3kr

• User+

Injection Pump Hanging
« on: February 20, 2017, 01:20:13 am »
I posted in other forums with no real help so I decided to try you guys.

Basically the other week I finished up my Holset 1.6TD build and everything went great!

Took it to town with the old lady and we went to car-quest to purchase an oil feed installation kit for my boost gauge. Upon leaving I went to shift into second and the car was acting like it was running away so I shut it off and tried it again for it to do the same thing. The revs were gradually increasing on their own. When I had the old Garrett T4 when I shifted the revs hanged but never increased. For instance I would shift from 3rd in 4k rpm when I went into 4th she stayed there til I shifted.

So I cracked open the boost screw and turned it back 1 full turn and problem solved. Now I have absolutely no smoke at all and really don't want to try and repeat the symptoms.  I can litterly in neutral flog and rev the engine and not see a hint of smoke.

The Holset at the moment is only producing 10psi but I know it can do a hell of a lot more it just doesn't have the fuel it wants. Currently I've put 200 miles on the Holset since installing it and all is great other then not having enough fuel.

Tomorrow Im going to run some diesel cleaner straight through the pump; but what else would you guys suggest the problem to be?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply #1February 28, 2017, 05:59:22 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: Injection Pump Hanging
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 05:59:22 pm »
1 full turn is alot.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #2February 28, 2017, 06:04:14 pm

Jo3kr

• User+

Injection Pump Hanging
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 06:04:14 pm »
1 full turn is alot.

That was just to get it home really; I've turned it back in little by little once I start making any power it hangs up. I ran diesel kleaner through the pump I had it running on that for a good 15-20 minutes straight from the bottle. Didn't help it any. Right now she runs great with the fuel back but it struggles to spool the Holset I almost have to downshift to 3rd pulling mountains. She still gets up to 15psi though; WOT.

Reply #3March 07, 2017, 05:49:27 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 05:49:27 pm »
Do you have clear lines between the injectors or coming from the pump?
 See any air?
Sometimes a pissing injector will cause hanging,.. and white smoke,.. and air in the little lines between the injectors if they are real bad.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #4March 07, 2017, 11:55:29 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 11:55:29 pm »
What is the 'boost screw'?  Usually when the revs hang it is because the idle is too high or if fitted with the fast idle cold start, the 'residual pressure' screw is too high.

Reply #5March 18, 2017, 03:44:36 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 03:44:36 am »
What is the 'boost screw'?  Usually when the revs hang it is because the idle is too high or if fitted with the fast idle cold start, the 'residual pressure' screw is too high.

x2.

Have you verified that your throttle arm on the pump is fully returning to the stop when releasing it from WOT?
Tyler

Reply #6March 18, 2017, 04:47:14 pm

Jo3kr

• User+

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 04:47:14 pm »
Thanks for all the help guys I ended up pulling off the timing belt cover to notice fuel leaking. The pumps main shaft had play and the seal went out so the pumps currently with Giles. I assume some of my problems was it sucking air through that seal.

Fixmyvw.com