S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1.6TD, what turbos fit?  (Read 6078 times)

January 31, 2017, 11:24:11 pm

hakkalugi

1.6TD, what turbos fit?
« on: January 31, 2017, 11:24:11 pm »
My K14 is in need of desperate rebuild. Instead of getting it rebuilt id like to update it to something newer, more advanced, something I could adjust the wastegate on. My car is an 84, ill be using the stock manifolds, the whole motor will be rebuilt- hone, pistons, rings, arp studs, metal headgasket, bearings, gaskets the whole 9. What would be recommended? Id like to at least double my stock psi, will probably run around the 18-20psi mark. Id like to give giles my pump but im not sure ill get around to it this season. Not looking for peak performance just something a little pepier than stock but still very reliable. It will not be daily driven if that even matters. Appreciate any reply's  8)

Reply #1January 31, 2017, 11:42:35 pm

hakkalugi

Re: 1.6TD, what turbos fit?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 11:42:35 pm »
Thinking of it now, it might be the K24, whichever is the bigger of the two. I have the smaller one in now from a mk2 eco diesel.

Reply #2February 01, 2017, 12:15:29 am

Jo3kr

• User+

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 12:15:29 am »
It'll be a K14 which is a very small turbo however it is capable of doing 16psi efficiently. Any turbo is able to be made to work but a good upgrade would probably be a K24 and be pretty much bolt on and go. I think those are capable of 18-20psi reliably.

I personally did a Cummins turbo on my 1.6td earlier today; of course lots of fabrication and custom work but all in I have $550 invested in the project including the used turbo (10k miles on it) and I used all the stock 1.6td manifolds just made an adapter.

Most turbo options require different manifolds however they make these manifolds for our cars and you can just flip them or buy adapters. Any 8v manifold will work regardless if it's for a gas motor or not.

Hopefully I helped some!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply #3February 06, 2017, 05:42:51 pm

kenny.kernaghan.7

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 05:42:51 pm »
It'll be a K14 which is a very small turbo however it is capable of doing 16psi efficiently. Any turbo is able to be made to work but a good upgrade would probably be a K24 and be pretty much bolt on and go. I think those are capable of 18-20psi reliably.

I personally did a Cummins turbo on my 1.6td earlier today; of course lots of fabrication and custom work but all in I have $550 invested in the project including the used turbo (10k miles on it) and I used all the stock 1.6td manifolds just made an adapter.

Most turbo options require different manifolds however they make these manifolds for our cars and you can just flip them or buy adapters. Any 8v manifold will work regardless if it's for a gas motor or not.

Hopefully I helped some!

Do you have anymore pics of your set up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reply #4February 06, 2017, 05:58:58 pm

Jo3kr

• User+

1.6TD, what turbos fit?
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 05:58:58 pm »

Hopefully I helped some!

Do you have anymore pics of your set up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What kind of pics you looking for?

Here's with the stock 1.6td exhaust manifold. My machinist made an adapter and I believe he did quarter inch steel which half inch would've been better but we ended up using it and laithed down the intake to clear the turbo and also did some to the housing of the turbo.

Here's my finished product I drove it today and if you wanna talk about turbo noise this things got more then enough! I am boosting 10psi right now and when she spools up around 2k rpm (no rpm tach) it'll throw you in the seat. Of course I'm going to adjust the wastegate and up it to 25-30psi for now.

Forgot to mention I also fabricated a 3" downpipe on the car as well.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 06:00:43 pm by Jo3kr »

Reply #5February 06, 2017, 08:50:51 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 08:50:51 pm »
Any chance you have some pics of the flange adapter you made?

Reply #6February 06, 2017, 08:58:28 pm

Jo3kr

• User+

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 08:58:28 pm »
Any chance you have some pics of the flange adapter you made?
Unfortunately I don't; I never actually unbolted what he did for me.

I do though have the drawing he did for me I can get a pic of that for you.

Basically what he did was draw out the 1.6td flange and drew out the Holset flange on top of it and made it out of steel.

It can be done! Their is a discussion that it couldn't be done somewhere but I have succeeded with doing it, the bottom two bolts line up perfectly to the Holset turbo on the 1.6td manifold but the top two will not they end up hanging off the side.

So what we did was use the two bottom bolts and his adapter is actually bolted into the manifold itself and the top two bolts we welded studs into it.

Of course we had to port and polish the 1.6td manifold cause the holes are smaller in the manifold then the holsets itself.

So far it has worked beautifully without leaking etc.

Are you planning on going this route?

Reply #7February 07, 2017, 01:16:26 am

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 01:16:26 am »
I want to get a holset. Its on the list but I'm going to rebuild my engine in the next few months. A new turbo probably wont come for another year or 2 when the budget allows.

If I understand you correctly the 2 rear holes bolt up and you just used longer bolts. The front 2 on the manifold side you welded studs to the adapter and ran some nuts down into the manifold, then just bolted the adapter to the turbo with the 2 new holes? Sounds simple enough. I guess if it was made with 1/2 plate the studs could just be threaded in place. A pic of the drawing would be sweet if you have it handy!

Reply #8February 08, 2017, 12:10:34 am

Jo3kr

• User+

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 12:10:34 am »
I want to get a holset. Its on the list but I'm going to rebuild my engine in the next few months. A new turbo probably wont come for another year or 2 when the budget allows.

If I understand you correctly the 2 rear holes bolt up and you just used longer bolts. The front 2 on the manifold side you welded studs to the adapter and ran some nuts down into the manifold, then just bolted the adapter to the turbo with the 2 new holes? Sounds simple enough. I guess if it was made with 1/2 plate the studs could just be threaded in place. A pic of the drawing would be sweet if you have it handy!

I talked to him today he said he'd make you an adapter just ship us your exhaust manifold when your ready. And yeah the two rear holes bolt up just use longer bolts and the top two have studs coming through and the top where the studs are the adapter is bolted into the manifold.

Reply #9February 08, 2017, 12:39:05 am

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 12:39:05 am »
Is he able to make the adapter without the manifold? I live in Canada and shipping it back and forth would be really expensive. I can port my manifold myself. Any idea what he would charge? I might have a go at making it myself but if his is cheap enough why not? Ideally in 7/16" or 1/2" plate.

Was just looking around ebay and found this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GENUINE-KING-TURBO-HE200WG-3772742-3796165-CUMMINS-ISF3-8-105-115KW-Turbocharger-/172497943748?hash=item2829adbcc4:g:7g8AAOSwu1VW67pb&vxp=mtr anyone with a spare engine up up for some testing?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 12:47:04 am by RunninWild »

Reply #10February 08, 2017, 01:54:15 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 01:54:15 pm »
Just place a piece of white stiff paper on the manifold and rub a pencil across it to make a template.  Shipping on that will be much better than the metal piece.

Reply #11February 08, 2017, 04:38:16 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 04:38:16 pm »
Oh that's a good idea. I think I'm good I can probably make one on my own unless buddy can make it for super cheap

Reply #12February 15, 2017, 03:02:43 am

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 03:02:43 am »
Well I found a used he211wg on eBay that was too good of a deal to pass up. I got it for $250usd shipped from china! Should match nicely to the aaz I'm rebuilding with my giles pump 😀.

Just trying to figure out a few details before I run into them later on. Do you know what thread size the oil feed is? Is the stock vw line sufficient if I put in an adapter or should it be upgraded? How did you make the odd shaped downpipe? What did you do for the oil return?

Being in a samurai I should have plenty of room so no need to play with the clocking. I'm hoping if I make the flange adapter 1/2" thick it will give enough clearance to use my g60 intake! I'm just hoping the rest of my drive train will stand up to the power this thing is gonna make 😥. I'll probably be 3x the torque of the stock 1.3l if I turn everything up 😀

S-PAutomotive.com