S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: AAZ problems  (Read 4586 times)

February 05, 2017, 09:04:53 am

retroloose

AAZ problems
« on: February 05, 2017, 09:04:53 am »
Ok Lads i need some info. 1.9 td aaz engine . Mileage unknown. Stripped it and put in the following things.
Piston rings (Kolbenschmit)
Shell bearings
Waterpump
Head skimmed pressure tested
Elring metal head gasket.

The cylinder walls still had crosshatch hone marks when i pulled out pistons.

K14 turbo no play or leaks.

Put the engine in my mk 2 golf coupled to an ASD tdi gearbox.

Changed out boost pin for ebay one in pump.
Pump timed to .95

Car was flying.

After 50,000 miles its now smokey and using a little oil (1L between services at 4k miles) , you can smell the oil from the exhaust. I pulled turbo and its perfect .

It still starts well. But is down by 10mpg and slower.

Im thinking it may be carbon clogged rings due to 15inch wheels and the tall gearbox. The straight through exhaust is full of black soot.

Anyone any ideas.

Im a little concerned about those rings i was told they were Mahle but they were not .

Thanks .

Reply #1February 05, 2017, 02:35:46 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: AAZ problems
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 02:35:46 pm »
I would start with a compression test and then look for excessive blow or air pushing out the valve cover.  Sounds like bad rings to me or, they didn't break in well even though there was cross hatching in the cylinders. 

If you upshift and run at higher RPM does it smoke out the tail pipe then?  You would need to have someone follow you to observe that.

Reply #2February 05, 2017, 04:47:41 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 04:47:41 pm »
A k14 and an ebay boost pin on a 1.9... sounds like probable frequent overfueling, so I'd say the OP is on the right track. Maybe a bit of coked up stuff in the holes.

Of course, compression numbers, egt, boost, and injector pop numbers would all be good to know, and good to keep an eye on.

(Bad break-in might not take 50K miles to show up.)

Reply #3February 06, 2017, 12:23:05 pm

retroloose

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 12:23:05 pm »
I would start with a compression test and then look for excessive blow or air pushing out the valve cover.  Sounds like bad rings to me or, they didn't break in well even though there was cross hatching in the cylinders. 

If you upshift and run at higher RPM does it smoke out the tail pipe then?  You would need to have someone follow you to observe that.

Up shift does not cause any smoking from what i can see.

Reply #4February 06, 2017, 12:38:37 pm

retroloose

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 12:38:37 pm »
Around the time it actually went downhill it suddenly started white smokey startups with unburnt diesel stinging the eyes from people. this would happen intermittently.

I brought the injectors in and had the nozzles changed but i think the guy didnt really want to know and didnt set pressures or anything like that.

It still does the smokey startups the odd time .My Friend rekons its a faulty injector. maybe this has caused bad carbon deposits.

I was getting 55mpg from it and im down to 43mpg in summer i once got 59mpg, i have another set of injectors i picked up on saturday and im going to try them in it, mileage unknown. Im thinking of putting ATF into cylinders overnight while i have the old injectors out and turn the crankshaft back and forward a few times to get it into the ring grooves.

There was a lot off soot in the exhaust side of the turbo.

Thanks Lads Appreciate opinions

Reply #5February 06, 2017, 02:17:49 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 02:17:49 pm »
Gee Wiz:
I brought the injectors in and had the nozzles changed but i think the guy didnt really want to know and didnt set pressures or anything like that.

You could have done that work yourself!  The idea for others doing that sort of work is that they get the pop off pressures set AND balanced between the set.  Not good to have one going of at one pressure and another being drastically off from that.  This is what the little shims in the injector are all about.
Regardless that is done and it may be a source of the white smoke. 

White smoke in my experience comes from advanced timing or water in the cylinder.  If your pop pressure is off it might be comparable to early timing. 

Try the other set of injectors.  Bad injectors do equal bad mileage by the way. And sooty pipes, heat shields and injector base.

As for the ATF in the cylinders overnight.  Better to do a cleaning with some diesel purge recycled in the pump for a bit or a dump of a can in the fuel and run it longer term.  I understand your idea to cut through the buildup on the rings so maybe do all three?  Let us know if the initial soak does any good as I don't remember a discussion of such a technique on here in the past.  Might be a new tool for us to use.

Thanks.

Reply #6February 06, 2017, 08:44:02 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 08:44:02 pm »
Sudden onset of heavy unburnt diesel?

I'd jack up the front left wheel and put the timing gauge in the IP, get the engine #1 at TDC. With the tranny in 5th, bump the wheel to move the flywheel +/- a half tooth to a tooth (+/- a couple of degrees). If the gauge needle doesn't move, get a new crank sprocket and pin it.

Reply #7February 07, 2017, 04:36:17 am

retroloose

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 04:36:17 am »
The Crank sprocket had the notorious wobble when i got the engine in which i new nothing about. So i ordered the crank milling tool from germany and took off the chattered crank face.

I put a brand new vw crank pulley on and two 4mm silver steel dowels . I had the old pulley drilled in 3.8mm as a guide to drill holes.

I ser the two dowels in the strongest stud and bearing lock available.

New bolt torqued with a little blue threadlock.

Its as new since that. The crank milling tool did a perfect job.

I also put a clutched pulley on alternator.

Reply #8February 07, 2017, 04:46:12 am

retroloose

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 04:46:12 am »
Gee Wiz:

You could have done that work yourself!  The idea for others doing that sort of work is that they get the pop off pressures set AND balanced between the set.  Not good to have one going of at one pressure and another being drastically off from that.  This is what the little shims in the injector are all about.
Regardless that is done and it may be a source of the white smoke. 

White smoke in my experience comes from advanced timing or water in the cylinder.  If your pop pressure is off it might be comparable to early timing. 

Try the other set of injectors.  Bad injectors do equal bad mileage by the way. And sooty pipes, heat shields and injector base.

As for the ATF in the cylinders overnight.  Better to do a cleaning with some diesel purge recycled in the pump for a bit or a dump of a can in the fuel and run it longer term.  I understand your idea to cut through the buildup on the rings so maybe do all three?  Let us know if the initial soak does any good as I don't remember a discussion of such a technique on here in the past.  Might be a new tool for us to use.

Thanks.

Yes i had called a few places about injectors and the dont really have the equipment for testing old idi injectors anymore nor do they want to know about them anymore.

Im running a gtd 1.6 sb pump at present as the original AAZ pump started leaking . However this later engine has a pump and injectors . Im worried about the pump as its the later type that does not rotate only the pulley and it has two wires between the 4 outlets on pump . And a two wire solenoid at bottom of pump.

Im just going to put the whole lot on, connect the fuel solenoid and set it to .95 on the timing and see what happens.

I do have a feeling the valves could be covered with carbon giving bad sealing etc.

I will keep yea posted

Thanks lads

Reply #9February 07, 2017, 03:32:44 pm

retroloose

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 03:32:44 pm »
Ok Lads i put the later AAZ pump on today after changing the pump bracket etc timed it with the swivel pulley to .95 started it and it ran ok bit smokey black when i revved it . Idle was a bit high i had to adjust down  with coldstart lever.

Lone behold it started leaking on the throttle shaft😈. Has anyone tackled this before . The last pump i took the head off to replace seal on lda pin. When i put the head back on i thought i had everything perfect ,the pump just went to full revvs when i started the engine? So that pump is still sitting there im not sure what i have done😩