Author Topic: Coolant flush and more on 81 rabbit pickup, need help resurrecting  (Read 6164 times)

Reply #30December 25, 2016, 12:45:34 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

Re: Coolant flush and more on 81 rabbit pickup, need help resurrecting
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2016, 12:45:34 am »
Once upon a time there was a forum member called 8-valves of fury that sold me a pump and it was leak free, until I over tightened the timing belt and destroyed the pump main seal. I got lucky, I put a new front shaft seal on and had no more leaks for over 100,000 miles. I made sure I put plenty of vasoline behind the seal before I installed it. Been running it for over 3 years now. Slap a new seal on the front and see what happens. But make abolutely sure the timing belt is tensioned correctly using the vw or equivalent tension gauge
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 12:47:37 am by srgtlord »

Reply #31December 25, 2016, 04:05:33 pm

Heron

• Junior

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2016, 04:05:33 pm »
Once upon a time there was a forum member called 8-valves of fury that sold me a pump and it was leak free, until I over tightened the timing belt and destroyed the pump main seal. I got lucky, I put a new front shaft seal on and had no more leaks for over 100,000 miles. I made sure I put plenty of vasoline behind the seal before I installed it. Been running it for over 3 years now. Slap a new seal on the front and see what happens. But make abolutely sure the timing belt is tensioned correctly using the vw or equivalent tension gauge

Yes, I replaced the fr. shaft seal and the two cold start seals. All the seals were original.

Do you happen to know if the belt tensioner guages floating around ebay are a reliable replacement for the VW201? I picked one up, turned it out to about 20, got it on the belt and turned it in to 13 and had to go more than I thought by feel(45) but it seems pretty good. The little indicator knob moved right up to the edge of the dial...about half way under it which I assume would be right on 13. Not sure what to rely on as the twist method is about as good as hand torquing head bolts.

Reply #32December 25, 2016, 10:38:42 pm

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2016, 10:38:42 pm »
The tool I have I purchased off of eBay as well. The way you read the tension gauge is similar to how you read a micrometer

S-PAutomotive.com