Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Cruise control with mTDI pump  (Read 3745 times)

December 02, 2016, 07:42:07 pm

Zeitgeist

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Rule Cascadia
Cruise control with mTDI pump
« on: December 02, 2016, 07:42:07 pm »
I'm now in the stages of my ALH into Vanagon swap where I'm trying to get all the peripherals to fit while avoiding conflicts and interference issues.  Part of this is figuring out where to fit the cruise actuator, which got me to realize that the travel of the vacuum pod does not equal the travel of the throttle lever arm on my Land Rover pump.  I have a bunch of throttle assemblies from a variety of Mercedes diesels and whatnot, so I think I can assemble something that will multiply the lever rotational degrees to match the pump, but I'm just wondering if someone else has figured this out on their own rigs.  I have plenty of other things to worry about, so reinventing the wheel on this minor task seems like a sub-optimal use of my time. 

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

'87 300TD (OM606)
'90 300D (OM602)
'89 Vanagon Bluestar (ALH)
'01 EV Weekender (AXK)
'04 Passat Variant (BHW)

Reply #1December 02, 2016, 08:25:44 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Cruise control with mTDI pump
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 08:25:44 pm »
I purchased from a Craigslist ad the VW Cruise control for my 1981 Rabbit.  The problem with it was that the external cable was missing from the unit.  Like the dealer needed one for a repair and never went back and ordered a replacement for it. So they were cleaning shelves and found the unit complete less that cable casing.  I'm handy and tricky enough that I fabricated one out of PCV and mounted it on the bracket that came with the kit.  I will see if my cruise control folder is on Photoshop and include some later tonight. 

This project was a little tricky as I needed a couple of items.  Inner and Outer cable from throttle to actuator and then a means to attach to the throttle adapter. 
That is the brassy looking thing at the front of the picture.  Side view in next pic. 

For the inner cable I used a piece of emergency cable from my sons Dodge PU. Very heavy duty and plastic coated.  I figured that would help with removing friction against the outer case.  For that I looked at my home improvement plumbing left overs and came away with a piece of PVC that was just perfect for the job.  Inner cable fit without binding.

Then to attach it I took a small strip of aluminum and drilled some holes and cut a slot in in.  I attached the cable with one of those crimp style clamps that join cables together.  I did drill two holes and the threaded ends of that hanging clamp are secured to the piece of aluminium that way

Disregard the second cable and bracket on the throttle arm.  That is my first attempt at just putting a lawnmower throttle on the IP and pulling the lever to a set speed once I was moving in traffic.  I left it on as a high idle set.  It didn't compensate for hills and was dangerous on the go.
Also disregard that double stacked Out Bolt to the left.  That is how I know the IP internal pressure when I am driving.  I wanted to know what it was at idle and when it would likely be moving the advance mechanism.  I was running Waste Veg oil at the time and was monitoring the heck out of the IP at that time to see how the two fuels compared. 

This is probably all you really need to see.  A U-shaped piece that will use the ball point from the throttle lever as an attachment point with some place to connect your cable. 

I used brass fittings I had about the place to fabricate a way to attach the two cables to the mounting bracket that attached to the IP.  I used similar for the attachment at the Actuator.

The overhead shot that is a wee bit fuzzy.  The attachment bracket for the cruise control is the shiny thin black piece.  it mounts to the IP using the same bolts that the throttle cable uses.  It just goes underneath it and sort of next to it.

How does this work for you?  Got your idea on how it will work with your system?

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 07:06:37 pm by ORCoaster »

Reply #2December 03, 2016, 02:14:07 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 02:14:07 pm »
Not sure how the Vanagon setup worked. I had a Mk2 pump once which came with the cruise vacuum actuator on it - if I recall it attached to the accelerator arm directly on its own pivot point rather than sharing one with the accelerator cable. I know clearance around the accelerator lever is a bit tricky on the Rover pump if you have the anti-startup smoke linkage in place but I would be looking for a more inbound mounting point.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #3December 03, 2016, 03:20:33 pm

Zeitgeist

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Rule Cascadia
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 03:20:33 pm »
I added an extension to the throttle lever, so the end result should look a lot like this pic I harvested from the innertubes

I assume this is from a Mk2 1.6TD, so perhaps my concern about the range of motion is unfounded.
'87 300TD (OM606)
'90 300D (OM602)
'89 Vanagon Bluestar (ALH)
'01 EV Weekender (AXK)
'04 Passat Variant (BHW)

Reply #4December 11, 2016, 05:44:54 pm

rbremiller

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 05:44:54 pm »
Here's another:
'91 180k Audi 80Q mTDI DD AHU, K14, LT pump,
http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?t=45645
'99 Jetta TDI 204k '02 engine, RC3+E, 11mm IP, .216, Racepipe, 2.5''SS exhaust, PD Lift pump,  Boostvalve, PanzerPlate, boost gauge, MAF delete.
'89 Audi 80Q ...waiting
'85 BMW R80

Fixmyvw.com