Author Topic: 1.6TD - wheres my injection pump leaking from? (video)  (Read 10363 times)

Reply #60March 25, 2017, 09:08:34 am

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
Re: 1.6TD - wheres my injection pump leaking from? (video)
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2017, 09:08:34 am »
This has been an informative journey. Also a testament to everyone who stuck with it till success.
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #61March 26, 2017, 01:14:20 am

oblique

• Veteran

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2017, 01:14:20 am »
I tossed the new pump in there and so far after 200km she is singing happily.

Definitely lots learned  ;)

Thanks for everyone's help, especially ORCoaster...gold star for you, sir. You have definitely done your homework. btw is this just sheer volume of experience or do you have some profesional background?

Willy likely get my injectors serviced next as she is smoking like a demon with no advance.

Reply #62March 26, 2017, 09:44:54 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2017, 09:44:54 pm »
Well thanks for the kudos my friend but I have to give credit where credit is due.  This forum and all of its contributors have educated me on a lot of what I pass to others.  I do all my own repairs but I have only done diesel for about the last 10 years.  Some of the members here were born with it in their blood compared to me. 

But having tools, mechanical experience and this forum I didn't shy away from pulling apart the IP the first week I had it in my possession.  I would have wasted a tank full on the drive from the leaky seals on it.  One of the downsides of finding an old car that has sat more than run in the last ten years is that everything that is supposed to be lubricated when turning really isn't.  So plenty of experience and learns on the workings of a diesel engine.

I like to modify or tweak things so I have built some items that helped me see how the pressure in the IP was working or not.  How to deal with the blow by until such time I was able to rip the guts out of the beast and correctly address the problem.  And I have a nice car in the process.  It will even run on WVO if I care to have it do that. 

So I can only credit what I know to this forum and just doing something.  At times it worked and I learned why, and other times I just laughed at the folly and results but learned from that too. 

Glad you got a rig that runs,  now do the injectors and save the planet. 

S-PAutomotive.com