S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Garrett T15 Wastegate Adjustment on my 1.9L IDI AAZ  (Read 3340 times)

November 26, 2016, 02:24:21 pm

DkmenchaR

• User+

Garrett T15 Wastegate Adjustment on my 1.9L IDI AAZ
« on: November 26, 2016, 02:24:21 pm »
Hi there,

I'm about to start some DIY tweaks for my 1.9TD Jetta, but I have no experience on working on engine so far

I read the "How to make your 1.9TD Faster" article over and over and over, and yesterday I decided myself to give some boost on the Turbo, but with no sucess..

This is the reference of the turbo... 1st question: TDI Turbo on a IDI ?

http://imgur.com/a/lHBY5

I think the turbo is in great shape as you can see in this photo but...

http://imgur.com/a/PzM9R
...Anyway, on the Wastegate of my Garret T15, I struggled a lot just to release the wastegate pin, the location of the wastegate isn't the nicest to work btw but that's not the point.... I couldn't release the pin from this point....

http://imgur.com/a/07raw

Can you guys just give me some tips, I don't have the confidence to do this, just because I'm afraid of mess this thing pretty bad  :'(

Regards

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 02:36:48 pm by DkmenchaR »

Reply #1November 26, 2016, 09:31:44 pm

air-cooled or diesel

Re: Garrett T15 Wastegate Adjustment on my 1.9L IDI AAZ
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 09:31:44 pm »
with head off, or lets say if for some reason you had turbo off, or perhaps as i have done swapping turbos, i like to open wastegate, you gotta go easy on this, for me, i have an ahu, so its a lever/quite thin shaft, with for me right as lever goes into turbo/wastegate it has a nice piece of the lever i can make my like about 6"adj wrench to nicely fit and easily get it to open. dont go bending or forcing, if its hard to open i consider a real good penetrant, lube. a basic one can get lever/door loose and moving, a really good one wont vaporize or just burn off. a spaceage penetrant/lube is what im referring too. may get better results. as far as having head on car, on my ahu with it on stands there is very limited space getting all the way up, in there to do this. hard enough on a lift.
as far as further adjustments to adding boost id put those plans on a hold, an engine thats running ok right now is going to be better to keep running, you may have other problems that youll find quicker as you increase adjustments, as it is that may be a warning sign.

Reply #2November 27, 2016, 09:45:13 am

DkmenchaR

• User+

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 09:45:13 am »
with head off, or lets say if for some reason you had turbo off, or perhaps as i have done swapping turbos, i like to open wastegate, you gotta go easy on this, for me, i have an ahu, so its a lever/quite thin shaft, with for me right as lever goes into turbo/wastegate it has a nice piece of the lever i can make my like about 6"adj wrench to nicely fit and easily get it to open. dont go bending or forcing, if its hard to open i consider a real good penetrant, lube. a basic one can get lever/door loose and moving, a really good one wont vaporize or just burn off. a spaceage penetrant/lube is what im referring too. may get better results. as far as having head on car, on my ahu with it on stands there is very limited space getting all the way up, in there to do this. hard enough on a lift.
as far as further adjustments to adding boost id put those plans on a hold, an engine thats running ok right now is going to be better to keep running, you may have other problems that youll find quicker as you increase adjustments, as it is that may be a warning sign.

Thanks for the quick answer!!!

The engine has 300k+ kms and I've put some ARP studs on cranckshaft, 228 mm Flywheel and a good TDI clutch!! I've talked to Giles to inform myself about his "superpump"  8) and as soon I earn cash for it, I'll definitely install on my AAZ :D

Been looking for an IC from a Mk3 TDI, in good shape too, I want my car as most OEM as possible

Regards

Reply #3November 27, 2016, 01:56:23 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 01:56:23 pm »
Why dont you just install a manual boost controller so you dont have to play with the wastegate?

Reply #4November 27, 2016, 02:03:47 pm

DkmenchaR

• User+

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 02:03:47 pm »
Why dont you just install a manual boost controller so you dont have to play with the wastegate?

Well, in my country, If I install that mod, I think I'll have problems you know... I'm searching OEM Parts essentially (IC, Flywheel, TDI Cranckshaft...)

Reply #5November 27, 2016, 02:19:39 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 02:19:39 pm »
Do you mean for like road side inspections or do you have safety inspections you have to pass every year or so? With how close the turbo is to the fire wall you would just need to run a bit of vacuum line from the turbo to a hidden location. They can be installed/removed in like 2 minutes if you have yearly inspections.

Reply #6November 27, 2016, 03:10:25 pm

DkmenchaR

• User+

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 03:10:25 pm »
Do you mean for like road side inspections or do you have safety inspections you have to pass every year or so? With how close the turbo is to the fire wall you would just need to run a bit of vacuum line from the turbo to a hidden location. They can be installed/removed in like 2 minutes if you have yearly inspections.

Whoa, that's some serious info mate!!  ;D Thanks for sharing :)  8)

Reply #7March 23, 2017, 10:51:58 am

vw4u2

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 10:51:58 am »
Hi DKmenchaR!
I have a questions for you about your clutch setup.  Do you have a 020 transmission?  You used a 228mm flywheel and clutch, but from which car and year?  I'm trying to upgrade to a 228mm clutch setup for my cabrio AAZ and am having a hard time to figure out what to use.  I have a single mass flywheel from a TDI and a G60 clutch kit. The problem I have is that in my transmission right now, the part you bolts to the engine is the pressure plate and with the 228mm setup, it is the flywheel. I need help!!! :-[

Reply #8March 23, 2017, 11:28:10 am

DkmenchaR

• User+

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 11:28:10 am »
Hi DKmenchaR!
I have a questions for you about your clutch setup.  Do you have a 020 transmission?  You used a 228mm flywheel and clutch, but from which car and year?  I'm trying to upgrade to a 228mm clutch setup for my cabrio AAZ and am having a hard time to figure out what to use.  I have a single mass flywheel from a TDI and a G60 clutch kit. The problem I have is that in my transmission right now, the part you bolts to the engine is the pressure plate and with the 228mm setup, it is the flywheel. I need help!!! :-[

Greetings,

I've changed to a CHD Gearbox 020. Clutch kit is form a 1.9TD Golf, but the stock gearbox that came with the car was an CHC (from a 94 1.9D Golf) and it needed to do some mods in flanges to fit in...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 11:45:07 am by DkmenchaR »