S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Reringing a CY - 1.6TD - using new rings but found bottom oil scarper missing  (Read 3128 times)

November 20, 2016, 05:07:24 pm

SR Heer

• Junior

Re-ringing a CY - (solid lifter) 1.6TD - with new Goetze rings - all four cylinders but found bottom oil scarper ring missing in one of the packages - I am sure not fault of manufacturer since they had been opened previously - I have honed each cylinder and am ready to reinstall newly re-ringed pistons -  my questions is how critical is it to use a new oil scraper ring in conjunction with new upper top rings - can I use a good used one and still be ok since its not a compression ring?

97 Passat 1Z, 98 Jetta AHU, 91 Jetta AAZ TD, and 81 Rabbit Pickup

Reply #1November 20, 2016, 07:26:49 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

If there is an issue with the oil control ring it will burn an excessive amount of oil. 

Reply #2November 20, 2016, 08:44:30 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Oil scraper is essential to the function of the group.  I would be looking for it from seller. 

You really can't make the old one work well enough.  They are worn and cleaning them up just makes them smaller in diameter.

Why have it in there if it isn't 100% of what you need. 

Reply #3November 21, 2016, 10:36:29 pm

SR Heer

• Junior

Yes - ok - stands to reason and good practice - make no sense to entertain a possible compromised rebuild unless one has lots of time to experiment with! Thanks
97 Passat 1Z, 98 Jetta AHU, 91 Jetta AAZ TD, and 81 Rabbit Pickup

Reply #4November 24, 2016, 02:33:47 pm

air-cooled or diesel

considering the work your doing ^&prev posts^, you need a new ring (set-total/complete)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:32:59 am by air-cooled or diesel »

S-PAutomotive.com