S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: blinker issues  (Read 6810 times)

November 06, 2016, 12:23:58 pm

lukitas

• User+

blinker issues
« on: November 06, 2016, 12:23:58 pm »
I am running to a problem with my 81 pick up.

When i use turn the left blnker (Driver) it works perfect but when i try the right it just lights up on a dash steady and nothing turns on on the markers.

when i turn the hazar switch on the left side and only right front blinks.

Also when i have the hazard or the left blinker going when i turn on the headlights or the day running lights it stops or gets really laggy on the blinking.

the rear right (passenger) does not work at all.

i took out the hazard switch and sanded the terminals to see if that would help but nothing.

any ideas?

Reply #1November 06, 2016, 02:23:17 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: blinker issues
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 02:23:17 pm »
This sounds like simple connection problems to the light bulbs to me.  Sounds like the hazard flasher is doing its job but the wires to, the sockets around or the bulbs themselves are toast.  Time to start from the bulbs and work towards the flasher looking for shorts/dead bulbs and then wiring issues.  Both grounds and positive 12 vdc.  And I would start with the grounds first.  Chances are they are going to be poor or gone sooner than a wire in a loom somewhere. 

Do those pickups use a different relay plugged into the fuse box?  Maybe it is going out on you.  But generally if the load is there (two good bulbs for the two turn signals) then all should go blinky blink.

Reply #2November 06, 2016, 07:12:18 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 07:12:18 pm »
a few years ago both of my front bulb sockets corroded out, but that was the front, theyre exposed, the rear that wouldnt be a common. both bulbs went out? otherwise id start w/grounds 1st. when i replaced the sockets the connectors were important(-0-voltdrop)(i used std crimp connectors, like you can find in the store).

Reply #3November 07, 2016, 04:20:46 pm

lukitas

• User+

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 04:20:46 pm »
a few years ago both of my front bulb sockets corroded out, but that was the front, theyre exposed, the rear that wouldnt be a common. both bulbs went out? otherwise id start w/grounds 1st. when i replaced the sockets the connectors were important(-0-voltdrop)(i used std crimp connectors, like you can find in the store).

I actually tested the socket by connecting it to the reverse plug and it worked fine so I am not sure what exactly its going on I am super lost on this.

Reply #4February 22, 2017, 07:25:06 pm

lukitas

• User+

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 07:25:06 pm »
update on this matter.

i still haven't been able to figure out why the rear passenger turn signal doesn't work. I tested the harness and it seems like its not getting power on the black and green cable which i believe is the cable for the rear passenger turn signal. Where can i can check to see if its connected under the dash?

Reply #5February 23, 2017, 12:19:49 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 12:19:49 am »
Doesn't that wire run up to the switch on the steering column?  One for left the other for right? 

Reply #6February 24, 2017, 09:46:06 am

lukitas

• User+

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 09:46:06 am »
i am going to investigate under the dash today. do you have any guide on how to take out the blinker switch?

Reply #7February 24, 2017, 12:16:28 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 12:16:28 pm »
I believe you need to remove the steering wheel as it comes out over the top of that steering spline. 

Reply #8February 24, 2017, 05:46:28 pm

Rabbit79

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Burns, Oregon,USA
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 05:46:28 pm »
You should be able to gain access to the switch by taking off the plastic covers over the steering column. I was doing some troubleshooting on mine just a couple weeks ago and that's all I had to do. If you want to take it completely out though, yes, you do have to remove the steering wheel.

According to what I see in the Bentley wiring schematic, there's one wire that carries juice from the turn signal switch to both rear turn signals, at some point it branches out (unfortunately the Bentley doesn't say where exactly, but I suspect it's somewhere in the back) to each individual turn signal. This tells me that your switch and the wiring for the left signal are all good, and your problem lies somewhere in between the point where that wire branches and the turn signal. If it were me that's what I'd check first.
Current: 1979 Rabbit 4dr
            1984 F-250
            1999 Ford Ranger
Other v-dubs I've owned:
84 Rabbit
78 Rabbit (gasoline) flipped it end over end after driving all night and falling asleep at the wheel. RIP, it was a good little car.
70 Bug

Reply #9March 06, 2017, 03:38:48 am

marvyn31

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 03:38:48 am »
Any update? My brother has the same problem on his ride.

Reply #10March 06, 2017, 04:34:29 pm

Rabbit79

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Burns, Oregon,USA
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 04:34:29 pm »
According to what I see in the Bentley wiring schematic, there's one wire that carries juice from the turn signal switch to both rear turn signals, at some point it branches out (unfortunately the Bentley doesn't say where exactly, but I suspect it's somewhere in the back) to each individual turn signal. This tells me that your switch and the wiring for the left signal are all good, and your problem lies somewhere in between the point where that wire branches and the turn signal. If it were me that's what I'd check first.

In looking back on this post I got to thinking about it, and I thought 'that can't be right, because if it were wired that way then both rear turn signals would be on at the same time'. I re-checked my Bentley wiring schematic... but that is exactly what it shows. (Section 6, electrical system, page 152, tracks 72 and 73). I checked back through the text and found another schematic for the turn signals on page 35 of section 6. That one shows the same single wire coming out of the turn signal switch, but in this one it branches to the RIGHT FRONT and right rear turn signals. So.... I still suspect you have a problem in between the point where that circuit branches and your right rear turn signal, although now I suspect it branches somewhere up front. As for the Bentley, they appear to have mis-labled the lights in the schematic on page 152, they should branch side to side and not front and back. I'd suggest using the schematic on page 35, it's a little more detailed anyway.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 04:53:52 pm by Rabbit79 »
Current: 1979 Rabbit 4dr
            1984 F-250
            1999 Ford Ranger
Other v-dubs I've owned:
84 Rabbit
78 Rabbit (gasoline) flipped it end over end after driving all night and falling asleep at the wheel. RIP, it was a good little car.
70 Bug

Reply #11February 03, 2019, 07:32:49 am

keycle

blinker issues
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 07:32:49 am »
So I just got an 82 Virago 750 as my first real motorcycle. The blinker only stays on as you hold the blinker switch, is it supposed to "latch" until you cancel the signal? Also do the 82s have the auto cancel?

Reply #12February 03, 2019, 03:35:20 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 03:35:20 pm »
This is a diesel car site.  What are you asking motorcycle question for? 

I say boot the guy. 

Fixmyvw.com