Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Installing tie-rods after manual steering rack replacement  (Read 2519 times)

October 29, 2016, 10:23:14 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

Installing tie-rods after manual steering rack replacement
« on: October 29, 2016, 10:23:14 am »
Im trying to follow the bentley for how to reinstall the tierods after replacing the steering rack but the book is not being too helpful, It states to make sure there is 70.5mm between the two areas on the picturein the book. The book does not specify where to measure from :(  Could somebody shed some light on this?

Reply #1October 29, 2016, 01:33:45 pm

thomas m

• Junior

Re: Installing tie-rods after manual steering rack replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 01:33:45 pm »
Is it Fig. 7-7, as in my Bentley?? "48-398" is shown in a box on the figure in my book.

First, center the rack per Bentley.

I would suggest using the split line on the ball socket, between the flats and the round part of the tie-rod socket.
And also the inner (closest to rack) edge of the mounting bushing location on the aluminum housing. See the "white" area in the figure just beneath the rack gear.

The adjusting of the outer tie rod, during alignment, will make up for any small differences. You want to make sure that the socket has full contact and good grip on the rack end. Some folks put red locktite on the threads when re-assembling.

Anyway, that's what I would do.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 10:29:36 am by thomas m »
Thomas, Original owner since new:
1991 MK2 Jetta Non-turbo 1.6 diesel, Engine Code ME, 5 speed 020 AWY 04120 transmission, Hydraulic Lifters,
320,000 miles
LOOKING FOR REBUILD OPTIONS IN PORTLAND, OR OR ON THE WEST COAST

Reply #2October 29, 2016, 09:52:00 pm

srgtlord

• Veteran

Re: Installing tie-rods after manual steering rack replacement
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 09:52:00 pm »
Yes figure 7-7 is the same in my Bentley as well. I'll give it a shot. The reason why I'm trying to make sure everything is almost completely lined up is because without fail my alignment has been screwed up by whatever shop I take it to. I figured tgat making these adjustments as close to the factory specs as possible will increase the chances of this being aligned properly the first time around. Luckily this time I have access to an alignment machine at my school to do this job myself.

S-PAutomotive.com