Author Topic: MK2 Jetta EcoDiesel  (Read 3634 times)

October 25, 2016, 03:24:05 pm

frozeninferno

MK2 Jetta EcoDiesel
« on: October 25, 2016, 03:24:05 pm »
Sometimes it really sucks having this car, lol. It seems so hard to find much information on anything about this car unless I look at my car and compare to other things I find about the other 1.6TD. Wish there was more insight on the things I could do for a little more fueling and air on this car. I love the car to be completely honest, it takes me anywhere that I want it to with 0 issues.

But, I am going to need a new starter soon and they all seem pricey (it is a diesel so, duh)
I have been looking around trying to see what I can gather to get more fuel running through the car of course.
Trying to gather info on swapping a different turbo on as well.
But, I feel I have not found much information on getting more air to the car (maybe I haven't looked hard enough?)

Any help from you guys would be great!

Reply #1October 25, 2016, 08:12:58 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: MK2 Jetta EcoDiesel
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 08:12:58 pm »
FAQ make your 1.6td a faster car

or something similar to that title for the thread. Or go to the idi engine thread and see. Many, many, many times has this been discussed

Reply #2October 26, 2016, 12:30:23 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 12:30:23 am »
As theman says, sit back and peruse the 550 pages of past threads in the IDI Engine forum.  By the time you get done you will be much more educated.

Your turbo isn't an issue (unless it isn't functioning properly - e.g. wastegate stuck, wastegate seat worn, etc..).  Unless you're planning on running more than 15 psi or so of boost (and you should intercool first) then forget about a turbo swap.

Do the following IN ORDER. 

1.  Go to a larger exhaust first 2.5" diameter with reasonably free-flowing muffler. 
2.  Add an EGT gauge. 
3.  Add a full aneroid injection pump. 
4.  Add an intercooler. 
5.  Add a manual boost controller and adjust boost up to 15 psi or so.
6.  Adjust max fuel to 1250°F sustained.

Your ECO k14 is ideal until *AFTER* you have done *ALL* of the above.  If at that point, you still feel you want more, then investigating other turbo options might be beneficial, but not before.   

Reply #3October 26, 2016, 09:05:28 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 09:05:28 am »
Does the car still have the CAT in the exhaust? It could be partially plugged.

Reply #4October 26, 2016, 02:01:12 pm

frozeninferno

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 02:01:12 pm »
As theman says, sit back and peruse the 550 pages of past threads in the IDI Engine forum.  By the time you get done you will be much more educated.

Your turbo isn't an issue (unless it isn't functioning properly - e.g. wastegate stuck, wastegate seat worn, etc..).  Unless you're planning on running more than 15 psi or so of boost (and you should intercool first) then forget about a turbo swap.

Do the following IN ORDER. 

1.  Go to a larger exhaust first 2.5" diameter with reasonably free-flowing muffler. 
2.  Add an EGT gauge. 
3.  Add a full aneroid injection pump. 
4.  Add an intercooler. 
5.  Add a manual boost controller and adjust boost up to 15 psi or so.
6.  Adjust max fuel to 1250°F sustained.

Your ECO k14 is ideal until *AFTER* you have done *ALL* of the above.  If at that point, you still feel you want more, then investigating other turbo options might be beneficial, but not before.   

I have been pursuing the best EGT gauge to go with and am thinking maybe the one NewSouth has as I love their products I had for my MK4. I just really don't want an ugly gauge sitting somewhere you know? Trying to find something/somewhere I will be able to put a gauge so it isn't so out of place. Sorry for the noob question, I'll probably end up google-ing, aneroid pump? Haven't seen that come up anywhere. But, I do have a 2.5" exhaust on the car. Did it the first weekend I had it because I didn't want that cat on there.
I will probably have to scroll through the TDI pages for the best way to do an intercooler, wondering if a 03 ALH intercooler will fit well. Probably not as intake is route on opposite side on the cars.

Thank you! This gives me a little more to look at rather than blinding searching and not knowing an "order". My brain is too OCD sometimes.

Reply #5October 26, 2016, 02:01:42 pm

frozeninferno

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 02:01:42 pm »
Does the car still have the CAT in the exhaust? It could be partially plugged.

The cat was cut off the first weekend I had the car. Went with full 2.5" straight pipe. :)

Reply #6October 26, 2016, 03:11:00 pm

frozeninferno

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 03:11:00 pm »
Ahh, another thing that I just thought about! If I do all of the above mentioned things I need to swap out my head studs or no?

Thank you guys for helping! I may find it as I am still looking just can't remember.

Reply #7October 26, 2016, 06:42:13 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 06:42:13 pm »
No need for studs until the head gasket fails.  Unless it going to fail anyway, increasing boost as mentioned will not be an issue.

There are various intercooler options.  Again, lots of discussions in the archives.  Air to air or air to water... various locations (fmic, to the side of the engine like the GTD, etc...).   

Similarly, lots of EGT options.  Popular choices are the Westach w/ micro-1000 1/8" probe and Auber instruments.  Whatever gauge you use get a fast-acting low mass probe (1/8").

Aneroid pump has the boost fuel enrichment.  The ECO injection pump did not increase fuel when boost rose.  That change of pump is worth a 15% increase in power at stock settings without even increasing boost.   

Reply #8October 26, 2016, 07:41:39 pm

frozeninferno

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 07:41:39 pm »
No need for studs until the head gasket fails.  Unless it going to fail anyway, increasing boost as mentioned will not be an issue.

There are various intercooler options.  Again, lots of discussions in the archives.  Air to air or air to water... various locations (fmic, to the side of the engine like the GTD, etc...).   

Similarly, lots of EGT options.  Popular choices are the Westach w/ micro-1000 1/8" probe and Auber instruments.  Whatever gauge you use get a fast-acting low mass probe (1/8").

Aneroid pump has the boost fuel enrichment.  The ECO injection pump did not increase fuel when boost rose.  That change of pump is worth a 15% increase in power at stock settings without even increasing boost.   

Thank you for the reply!
I have been slowly creeping around on here while I have been at work and I think I found a front mount style intercooler that will fit right behind my core support nicely. 

I had refound the thread on the EGT probes but hadn't been able to find a gauge that I liked. My issue comes to how they look and how wide of a temperature range it reads. Also, I have been trying to find something or somewhere I will be able to mount the gauge/gauges and keep an oem type look. I will check out the gauge you mentioned.

I had literally just found a post on what an aneroid pump is before this reply. So I am assuming I must keep looking for a TD pump to throw in this car? Hopefully someone buys the injectors and injection pump I pulled off of my mk4 alh so that I will be able to buy the egt setup and injection pump. Then onto the intercooler!

Reply #9October 27, 2016, 11:46:12 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 11:46:12 am »
Look up the word: "port."
Take the engine off life support.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #10October 27, 2016, 12:20:27 pm

frozeninferno

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 12:20:27 pm »

??? ??? I guess I am entirely missing what you are saying.

Reply #11October 27, 2016, 01:10:40 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 01:10:40 pm »
(pumps chest) breathe breathe

Reply #12October 27, 2016, 03:10:53 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 03:10:53 pm »

Are you for real?  It's like hearing that someone wants to generate some electricity for their cabin in the woods and recommending that they look into nuclear fission power.  There are a huge number of things the OP can do to give better returns with waaaaayyyy less effort or expense.  If he's wanting to do an engine overhaul AND has an advanced mechanical skill set or a lot of money, then sure, it's a very good idea at that time.  At this point though, it's an absurd recommendation at best. 

Reply #13October 27, 2016, 03:13:26 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 03:13:26 pm »

??? ??? I guess I am entirely missing what you are saying.

I'd just ignore him at this point.  He's recommending pulling the cylinder head off the engine and porting the head/manifolds.  It's definitely a good place for gains if you are in the process of a rebuild or have the head off for some other reason (e.g. head gasket), but to pull the head solely for porting is absurd unless you have a lot of time and/or money to spend.

S-PAutomotive.com