Author Topic: 1.6 ip help please!  (Read 2017 times)

October 23, 2016, 09:25:00 pm

brandonlee1988

1.6 ip help please!
« on: October 23, 2016, 09:25:00 pm »
Hey guys im new to the site . so my 81 rabbit smoked pretty bad on cold start and i had a leaking injector so i bought new ones that were 155 bar for the td build but i figured what the heck ill use these until the motor is done. Well it smoke way worse(white). Then i thought it was timing so i adjusted it to .95 and now it wont start. And im frustrated... Glow plugs, gp relay, 50amp fuse are all good. Shut off solenoid clicks. Ip is full if fuel and filter. Cracking all of the injector (which i switched to the stock ones) and im not getting any fuel...

Reply #1October 24, 2016, 12:51:30 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: 1.6 ip help please!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 12:51:30 am »
So you changed from the Stock 130 bar to some new fangled ones at 155 bar.  Then you timed it to .95 mm.  So in doing that you have changed the timing as it will take more time to build to 155 bar and pop them off compared to the stock ones.  So most 130 bars would not smoke white at .95 mm.  That is just a tad advanced and well within the plus/minus of 5 mm from .88 mm that my label on the shock column shows as spec timing. 

So white smoke is either too retarded or too advanced and I think you have it firing too late.  So push the pump up to 1.05 and see what you get with those new 155 bars. 

As to why you are not firing at all with the stock injectors at .95 mm is a mystery to me.  I would think that would be running just dandy.  How about a double check on timing?  Could it really be something else? 

Even though the solenoid clicks it might be stuck.  You might have to take that bugger nut off and verify it is indeed pulling the plunger up and allowing fuel to get into the secondary part of the pump.  I have seen that more than once.  Maybe longer cranking time on to get fuel to the top of the injectors?

That is all my brain can create at this late hour. Hope you get it going. 

Reply #2October 24, 2016, 03:24:25 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 03:24:25 am »
Are you getting fuel out the return of the pump? If not, you still have air in the pump. If you are getting fuel out, then you have an issue with the stop solenoid or the pump (much less likely). Did you adjust anything other than timing on the pump?

What was the timing set at before?
Tyler

Reply #3November 11, 2016, 06:28:21 pm

regcheeseman

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 06:28:21 pm »
Doesn't matter what the timing is set to - it'll still inject.

155s will run fine at 95.

Check the solenoid has power and if you can, feed the pump from an elevated or pressurised supply, it sounds very much like a fuel supply issue.

Reply #4November 12, 2016, 05:12:33 am

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 05:12:33 am »
You still have air in the system. Even a small air leak in the fuel system will make it quite difficult to start sometimes. The leak can be small enough that you don't leak fuel out; just suck air in. The column of fuel will head back for the tank when you are not cranking so its easy to chase your tail on these.

Try sucking fuel through the pump with a Mity-Vac on the OUT banjo fitting. That will assure that you have fuel in the lift pump and no air in the lines while you are vaccing it down.

The lazy (or desperate) mans way to deal with this is to tow start it. Just keep dragging it at 10-15 mph in second gear. It will eventually start. Much easier to troubleshoot when its running.

Fixmyvw.com