S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: New intermediate shaft bearings installed  (Read 2469 times)

September 23, 2016, 04:25:45 pm

Nizzla

New intermediate shaft bearings installed
« on: September 23, 2016, 04:25:45 pm »
Okej so this is my problem:
After I got the bearings replaced and the intermediate shaft installed I turned the shaft over by hand and it dident move easy. With a 19mm wrench I can turn it around but it feels like I have to use to much force for it to work properly when the engine is installed again.

The bearing was not installed by a professional and when I put the shaft back in i had to hit it a little with a rubber hammer.
Both bearing was oiled when I inserted the shaft.

Is the bearings not strait? Do they have to wear in? Will the belt even turn the shaft around?

Crank and everything is out untill some of you guys can get me some good answers :P

Reply #1September 24, 2016, 01:37:13 pm

Dubdoc

Re: New intermediate shaft bearings installed
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 01:37:13 pm »
My new bearings  turned very easy, so I  would suspect the installer. Take it to a professional and have another set installed.

Reply #2September 26, 2016, 10:12:09 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 10:12:09 am »
Mine was the same. If it turns I wouldn't be worried. I couldn't turn mine by hand

Reply #3October 06, 2016, 04:37:57 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 04:37:57 am »
FWIW the intermediate shaft bearings are often a "ream to fit" - the machine shop is supposed to open up the bearing to fit the shaft. There are some which are "presized"; they'll fit IM shaft journals that are basically not worn though you might not get the best oil pressure going that route. If the bearings were installed by an amateur and the shaft is tight then they probably aren't set up right.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen