S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: FS: 1986 VW Mk2 Jetta 1.6L Turbo Diesel 5spd (NEW head), PNW, $5,000  (Read 2398 times)

September 17, 2016, 05:35:35 pm

girdwood

Now for the important stuff:
Price/Location:
I'm in Washington state, between Seattle and Tacoma.  I would be willing to meet within reason.  I have a new baby on the way next week... so time is not something I have a lot of at the moment.  Currently selling for $5,000 OBO, no trades (except for firearms, safe, vault, etc.).  I am not in dire need to sell it (and quite frankly would like to keep it... wife says it has to go :) ).

Reason I'm selling:
I traded my B5.5 Passat wagon for this car last year because I wanted something better on fuel mileage... well, now I have a Mk3 TDI for my daily and a B4V TDI for the family hauler.  Both are much more comfy than this and my Mk1 Rabbit diesel, so those 2 have to go.  Below is everything I can think of, but if you have any questions or want specific pictures, just let me know.  Mileage is just under 222k, and will slowly go up as I drive it now and then so it doesn't sit too long.

Options:
As far as the wheels are concerned, it can come with a different setup and I'm willing to negotiate/work with whatever setup you want.  I have 14" BBS Basketweaves with new tires, 15" Sebrings with new tires (currently on it), 14" Teardrops with new tires, and 14" Orlandos? (Mk3 5-spoke wheels, I think that is the name of them) on new tires... all 4x100 and in good shape.
The Corbeau seats; I'm willing to lower the price if you bring your own front seats and brackets.

Maintenance/Repairs:
@218012 NEW head (COMPLETE with camshaft, lifters, valves, guides, retainers, gaskets, seals, etc.), timing belt, tensioner, alternator belt, head gasket, glow plugs, oil pan gasket, air filter, fuel filter, oil pressure sensor, water temperature sensors, oil filter, water pump, thermostat, rear motor mount, shift bushing kit, battery, ultrasonically cleaned and calibrated injectors, etc. . .
@218765 2 New front tires from Les Schwab with siping (matching rear tires)
@219271 Ball joints/inner and outer tie rods/alignment
@221729 Pressure check coolant system/replace thermostat housing
Front door handle replacement, wiper replacement, etc.
I will also include the original head with a new cam from Delta camshaft (I was planning on rebuilding this one before finding a new head). So you can either rebuild it and 'hot rod' it up, or sell it (these are getting harder to come by now days).

Thousands of dollars in receipts in the past year. CD player, aftermarket speakers, Corbeau bucket front seats, adjustable coilovers, A/C, manual locks, manual windows, lots of storage compartments under the dash inside (instead of the knee-bars in some Mk2s) manual steering, averaged 42.9MPG from all of my tanks (with fill ups/mileage reports to show) in stop and go traffic from Federal Way to Seattle. This is one of the most OE and non-molested versions of a Mk2 Jetta I've ever seen. The wiring isn't hacked, the subframe is solid, the pinch welds aren't even bent from improper jacking of the car! It also has the awesome extra storage compartments under the dash instead of the stupid knee-bar.

Cons:
- It seems a little gutless... this is my first Mk2 turbo diesel, so it might be normal.  Maybe I'm use to driving my tuned AHUs. :D
- The floor mats are mis-matching and from a '98 Mk3 Jetta.
- Glow plug light flickers from time to time. From what I've researched, these early Mk2 VWs came with a fuel/water separator near the rear under the car. Over time the electrical connections corrode and cause it to flicker. Or, the fuel water separator needs to be drained. I haven't looked into it yet, has never had an issue starting or running; however, this is something I would do before the cold months hit.
- It sat for the past month, when I tried to start it, the battery was dead. So there is a draw somewhere (I'm guessing the aftermarket radio install was not done properly and was enough to kill it, but I never looked into it. When I was driving it everyday, or even every other week, I never had a problem so it's not a big enough concern for me to spend time finding it before I sell it :) ).  I popped the faceplate off last time I parked it (has detachable faceplate), and it fired right up this morning.  It had been sitting for about 2wks.
- Driver's side door handle key doesn't match the rest of the car (passenger, ignition and trunk are all the same).
- When it rained a lot and hard, the trunk would get damp; the trunk seal seems to be in relatively poor shape but is not completely gone. Again, something I would address before the winter months.
- One of the headlights has a pinhole in it from a rock chip, so there's moisture in the housing. It looks like the car has a black eye, and hinders light output; something I'd recommend replacing.  If I were to keep it, I'd probably upgrade to the glass sense E-codes.
- Suspension setup is pretty cheap; I would replace it with proper shocks/struts. It's quite annoyingly bumpy on I-5. (They are either Raceland or Rokkors, I don't remember what the PO said).
-There are flaws in the paint, it is not perfect. However, this is a color that hides imperfections quite well. I recently ran a clay bar over it and then a few coats of wax; seemed to bring some life back into it.  2 spots of minimal surface rust; one under the rear license plate where the bumper sticker is, one on the bottom of the rear valance.
- AC doesn't blow very cold. The compressor kicks on. I haven't looked into it any further than that.
- Some of the interior cloth has faded spots from being in the sun. The dash and plastics are all still in really really good shape, it is just the cloth that has signs of fading here and there but is still in really good shape.
- It seems to have had cruise control at one point.  It is on the stalk, but not functional.  I did notice some components in the engine compartment, but have not bothered to trace everything out and see what's missing.  I'm sure it wouldn't take much to get it going, seeing as it's from the factory.
- The alternator seems to have a bit of excessive play.  I'm not sure if it's just a poor design by VW, or if it's missing something.  I wouldn't consider it severe, but it might be something to look into.

I'm not trying to hide anything, I'm listing everything I can think of that is wrong and right with it.  Again, if you have any questions, ask!  Thanks!

S-PAutomotive.com