Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: FS: 1979 VW Mk1 Rabbit 1.6L N/A Diesel 5spd, PNW, $3,500  (Read 1887 times)

September 17, 2016, 05:32:28 pm

girdwood

FS: 1979 VW Mk1 Rabbit 1.6L N/A Diesel 5spd, PNW, $3,500
« on: September 17, 2016, 05:32:28 pm »

I've driven this up to Canada, Bellingham, down to Oregon etc. numerous times and I would not hesitate to drive it cross country as-is. It can actually hold 75mph comfortably (not usual for Mk1 diesels, the 5spd and 1.6L makes a difference!). It handles GREAT in the snow. This is the second time I've owned it; I bought it back because I needed a reliable car. Since I've owned it this time, I've replaced the ball joints, clutch, CV, and battery and it's ready to go for another lifetime. Buy it now before the fuel prices sky-rocket again!

Here's a link to the ad the first time I sold it:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5906395-FS-1979-VW-Rabbit-1-6L-Diesel-(NA)-5spd-(rebuilt-engine)-50MPG-s-(WA)-4-000

The Good...
-1.6 diesel with a 'FF' 5spd transmission
-about 60,000 miles on a fresh rebuild
-new clutch (1k miles)
-new CV axle (1k miles)
-new battery (2k miles) and terminals w/ ground cable
-newer fuel filter and fuel lines
-newer alternator (updated, 65A I believe)
-newer starter
-engine bay was resprayed while the engine was out
-CD player w/ USB input on front
-no sunroof
-non-AC car, manual brakes/steering
-heater works great, rear defrost works, all lights work
-new tires on Mk3 14" wheels
++(Bilstein shocks/struts Neuspeed springs) (in box, not installed; currently on Raceland coilovers)
-rear end brakes are newer (about 2yrs):
-OE shoes
-OE spring kit
-OE wheel cylinders
-OE drums
-OE bearings
-OE seals
-front end is essentially all new from when I had it the first time:
-OE ball joints
-OE hubs
-OE bearings
-OE rotors
-OE pads
-OE hoses
I'm sure I'm missing a lot of things... If doing any type of maintenance, everything in the area was replaced.
averaging 45MPG mixed with a lot of driving in traffic
cheap to swap on a TD kit for more power!

The Bad...
-decent size chip and now crack in the windshield
-PO had the hood latch fail on the highway, so it has a mis-matched hood (but it has the under-hood diesel-mat intact!)
-early dual round cluster, so it has clock (that doesn't work) instead of tachometer
-exterior has the patina look
-passenger side window stops about 1/2way down (probably needs lube, maybe new regulator, haven't looked into it)
-headliner has a few holes, but is OG
-both door panels are warped and bow out
-driver's seat has rips from front to back on the bottom part of the seat
-dash is cracked and in poor shape
-no idea how many miles are on it, it only only has the 99,999 odometer, which has rolled over (not sure how many times)
-steering column bearing needs replacement

NOTHING MECHANICALLY WRONG; ONLY COSMETIC

If I were to keep it; I'd put the Bilstein/Nuespeed suspension back on and freshen up the steering (inner tie rods and steering column bearing). Other than that, I'd drive it forever like I have already.

This car is not perfect. I pride myself in being truthful, so I wanted to list everything wrong with it to be upfront. Don't be afraid of the 'cons' of this car; although it is far from being perfect, it is the perfect daily. Everything mechanical is pretty much new and is good to go for another 200k+ miles. The amount of money and time that has been put into this car (although, obviously not a show car), is quite a lot. Hopefully someone can appreciate that, and see that this could possibly be one of the best cars you've ever owned.

$3,500 OBO
Willing to trade for firearms. Interested in vaults, AR platforms or M1/M14/EBR.