S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: xterra/Pathfinder ALH swap  (Read 6317 times)

September 29, 2016, 11:54:27 am

hootindustry

xterra/Pathfinder ALH swap
« on: September 29, 2016, 11:54:27 am »
Hello, my names Douglas and I've been swapping engines in different vehicles since before I've had my licenses. Currently Im swapping ALH engines into the xterra Platform. I have a 2007 xterra that I've been driving for about a year now.  I initially had it running on the stock pump and turbo it ran fine and got 37mpg of mixed driving. I then converted it to a M-tdi  "hans pump" with .216 nozzles. The first pump i received idled for a few mins and quit but the second pump has been running strong for 20K. I Ran a compound setup first with that pump Gt15 and a td04. It ran well but i just wish i had more reliable turbos. those were  just the ones i had available. During that time I towed a 21ft camper from Detroit to state college PA then Towed the same camper Fully loaded down to Virginia beach no problem. Since then I've removed the Gt15 and im just running the td04 and im very happy with the results. My got 20mpg while towing and get ruffly 30-34mpg with the mechanical pump. I do enjoy the responsiveness and efficiency  of the VGT turbos and the stock pump. Im probably going to buy a gt2056 liberty turbo or a gt2256 and rig up a mechanical controller. So i can make a wiring harness/box so i can just switch out the mechincal pump with the electric pump easily. Either way i will need better Nozzles and i have a 300D pump to replace the Hans pump it just needs rebuilt.

As for my other Projects i have a pathfinder and another xterra in the garage waiting to do the same swap. Both are automatic so im going to hafto either figure out how to have both canbus systems communicate or find a standalone controller for the transmission Im just waiting for the Adapter plates to come back from my friend who has setting them up to be replicated by CNC. After those two I have a Rust free 1987 f150 regular cab with a 4speed granny tranny that i will swap another ALH engine into. I love these engine 

Just wanna Boast TDI power!!! Heres My jetta BRM with just a stage1 Rocketchips and clutch towing a Pathfinder back from New haven Connecticut

Reply #1September 29, 2016, 09:17:07 pm

motohead1

Re: xterra/Pathfinder ALH swap
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 09:17:07 pm »
Very cool.  I just started a Dakota quad ALH swap.  I looked at the quad cab pathfinders but didnt see anyone out there making adapters for them.  So the dakota was the only other quad cab mid size I could afford.  Curious about your take on the Etdi vs Mtdi?  I wrestled with this for a while and since I have a complete donor opted for the Etdi for now. 

Reply #2September 29, 2016, 10:15:35 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 10:15:35 pm »
I have a 2256v off a sprinter I would sell you. Let me know.

Reply #3September 30, 2016, 03:20:09 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 03:20:09 pm »
Before believing that the electronic engine management vs. mechanical pump gives any significant difference in performance, economy, or power, bear in mind that your mTDI injection pump was built by someone who has just about the worst reputation in the industry. 

Reply #4September 30, 2016, 08:40:09 pm

hootindustry

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 08:40:09 pm »
Before believing that the electronic engine management vs. mechanical pump gives any significant difference in performance, economy, or power, bear in mind that your mTDI injection pump was built by someone who has just about the worst reputation in the industry. 
Yeah Compleaty, i'm just happy it works. I tow a lot of stuff Regularly its handled the abuse well. Im new at tuning diesels so that's also a factor but im glad i did the mechanical even though its been a headake. Im looking forward to getting my Land rover pump installed with new nozzles. As of now im happy with its preformace Since the xterra is a relatively light SUV.

Very cool.  I just started a Dakota quad ALH swap.  I looked at the quad cab pathfinders but didnt see anyone out there making adapters for them.  So the dakota was the only other quad cab mid size I could afford.  Curious about your take on the Etdi vs Mtdi?  I wrestled with this for a while and since I have a complete donor opted for the Etdi for now. 
Yeah I have the adapter for the frontier. what made the nissan a very easy swap is the the crank Face for both the VW and Nissan flywheels are the same. That was a delightful surprise. Is what generation was the Dakota is it the 6speed. I was originally going to swap a 6speed Dakota but the Xterra became available first

Reply #5October 03, 2016, 09:50:44 pm

motohead1

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 09:50:44 pm »
Its a 2001 5 speed Dakota.  so its a NV3500.  I have factory 3.55 axels.  I may need somthing taller.    I have 300tdi pump sitting on the bench that I will put on later like you have done to see first hand the difference between E and M.

S-PAutomotive.com