Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 86 Golf with AC - how to swap the tranny?  (Read 3064 times)

August 13, 2016, 08:36:40 pm

coalminer16

• User+

86 Golf with AC - how to swap the tranny?
« on: August 13, 2016, 08:36:40 pm »
I am working on reviving an 86 golf with AC, power steering, cruise control. I have had it running but the 5th gear has been burned out from a leaking tranny. I have another one to go in. I have the items I thought I needed to remove to lower the engine/tranny down to then unhook the tranny from the engine like I would on my rabbits. I haven't worked on a MK2 model before so I know a few things may be different. Do I need to remove the front clip to get the tranny out for clearance issues? Any tips or how too's would be great. Thank you.

Reply #1August 13, 2016, 09:34:18 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: 86 Golf with AC - how to swap the tranny?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 09:34:18 pm »
The swap is almost the same. You don't need to take the radiator support or anything out if you do not want to.

Reply #2August 13, 2016, 09:59:23 pm

coalminer16

• User+

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 09:59:23 pm »
I can't get it to drop down. I have unbolted the tranny motor mount and the front mount is removed and it still is hanging up and not dropping down. And the alternator seems REALLY close to the radiator core. I have unhooked the axles and shifter linkage and removed the starter. Any other tips?

Reply #3August 17, 2016, 01:26:50 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 01:26:50 am »
make sure that sheet metal is un hooked. Also you will need to rotate the trans to clear the axle flange or remove that flange on the passenger side

Reply #4September 04, 2016, 04:14:30 pm

coalminer16

• User+

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 04:14:30 pm »
Well, it stunk to do but it is done. Thank you for the help. On the rabbits I never had to rotate upwards and never would have thought of that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reply #5January 09, 2017, 12:15:15 am

caykroyd

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 12:15:15 am »
I just did this a while back to replace the rear main seal.  It was a huge PIA.  Even after rotating it so the differential was pointing up, I couldn't get it to drop.  After hours of futzing with it and then resting my arms, the key for me was to raise the car higher so i could lower the engine more (until alternator hits radiator).  Next is to tilt the end of the tranny up to get the bottom of bell housing passed the flywheel.  Once the bottom of bell housing is free, you can lift tranny straight up to free the differential from the flywheel.
I've read a lot of people talk about rotating the tranny, but to free the bottom first then lift diff. up and over flywheel was the key for me.  I hope this helps the next person trying to do this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S-PAutomotive.com