S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Caddy interior  (Read 4346 times)

January 29, 2016, 09:07:44 pm

butch2000

• User+

Caddy interior
« on: January 29, 2016, 09:07:44 pm »
Ok , trying to source some Caddy interior , headliner , side panels , etc  is there a supplier that supplies new stuff ? thanks for the help ,

Reply #1January 29, 2016, 09:10:16 pm

butch2000

• User+

Re: Caddy interior
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 09:10:16 pm »
or has anyone done there own , ? any pics ? thanks

Reply #2February 07, 2016, 04:02:19 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 04:02:19 am »
Check with the UK caddy forum guys.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #3February 12, 2016, 06:07:35 pm

Dubdoc

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 06:07:35 pm »
I can only suggest robbing parts from a 4-door Rabbit like I did. You can still get good seat covers, but the rest def. looks like it's hard to find. With these older vehicles it's often down to how innovative you are.

Reply #4July 14, 2016, 10:59:52 am

lukitas

• User+

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 10:59:52 am »
im in the same boat. I need a headliner but I couldn't find a diy.

Reply #5July 14, 2016, 03:29:36 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 03:29:36 pm »
For a new headliner I found if you took some of that tight foam mat that people use for camping, you know that 3/4 inch stuff, you could glue it in place on the roof with contact cement.  Then apply some fabric, usually a couple of choices from JoAnns fabric or any place like that.  It comes with a slight foam backing in rolls that are 6 foot wide or so.  You just buy a section that will give you coverage from front to back.  Maybe 15 feet of it.  Then use spray on contact cement on the foam and the pad.  Let it sit till slightly dry and tacky. Start from the middle and work to the edges.  Tuck it under the rubber or fold and glue if need be. 

I did it years ago and just this spring had to shoot a bit more glue to the roof and sleeping pad section in the very back.

Try it

Reply #6July 14, 2016, 04:34:03 pm

lukitas

• User+

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 04:34:03 pm »
For a new headliner I found if you took some of that tight foam mat that people use for camping, you know that 3/4 inch stuff, you could glue it in place on the roof with contact cement.  Then apply some fabric, usually a couple of choices from JoAnns fabric or any place like that.  It comes with a slight foam backing in rolls that are 6 foot wide or so.  You just buy a section that will give you coverage from front to back.  Maybe 15 feet of it.  Then use spray on contact cement on the foam and the pad.  Let it sit till slightly dry and tacky. Start from the middle and work to the edges.  Tuck it under the rubber or fold and glue if need be. 

I did it years ago and just this spring had to shoot a bit more glue to the roof and sleeping pad section in the very back.

Try it

I was actually thinking of doing something like that but I would insulate the ceiling with the "Homedepot" dynamat and then use the foam that they use to insulate house roof that is foam on one side and foil on the other. and then use a thin piece of wood or the material that they used to do the door panels which is like processed pressed wood. what do you think?

Reply #7July 14, 2016, 09:41:18 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 09:41:18 pm »
Isn't that Home Depot stuff like an inch thick?  I am a tall guy so not a lot of clearance in the VW.  Hat rubs the ceiling now.

I don't think you can get that thin pressboard to bend like they do for the OEM headliner.  I have seen that put in but I wonder about how they secured it.  Remember what goes up might come down.  A cardboard like headliner is light enough that it won't do much damage but wood????

That is why I didn't go for anything other than the fabric. 

Using the foil backed insulation might adhere to the roof better than a tight foam like I did.  I also know that the Depot has that bubble like foil that goes in between the rafters so it is 22 inches wide and that is meant to reflect heat both ways.  That might be worth looking into as well.  I would think it would glue well to metal and fabric alike.

Reply #8July 15, 2016, 07:26:07 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 07:26:07 pm »
If you're talking about the foil backed roofing tar stuff, it is not rated for interior use and will gas off toxic fumes in your car. 

Reply #9July 16, 2016, 12:02:08 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 12:02:08 am »
No Libby I am referring to that really thin bubble like wrap that goes in the attic in between the rafters and is meant to keep the attic cooler so your A/C is working so hard. 

I agree that roofing paper would be killer inside a VW.  Which reminds me I have a roof to do yet this summer.  I might look into that stuff as an upgrade.  I  just threw another R 19 up there last summer. 

Reply #10July 16, 2016, 01:23:16 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 01:23:16 am »
I should have used a quote.  I was referring to this:

I would insulate the ceiling with the "Homedepot" dynamat ...

Reply #11July 22, 2016, 03:47:31 pm

lukitas

• User+

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 03:47:31 pm »
I should have used a quote.  I was referring to this:

I would insulate the ceiling with the "Homedepot" dynamat ...

I've been reading a lot of car forums and they used that "Peel and Seal" or w.e its called and people are happy with it.

Reply #12July 22, 2016, 10:46:51 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 10:46:51 pm »
That's the stuff that will gas off toxic fumes.  I imagine it's a perfect product to use if you care more about sound-proofing while saving a few dollars (over a product that is approved for interior use) than you do about your long-term health.  We'll probably have socialized health-care in the US before too long, so you probably won't even be the one who has to pay for the brain cancer treatments.   :P

S-PAutomotive.com