Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: turbo questions  (Read 2443 times)

July 30, 2016, 04:24:47 pm

monsterchuck

turbo questions
« on: July 30, 2016, 04:24:47 pm »
Hello all,
I had a question on some extra turbos I have laying around. I have an AHU swapped into my Mk1 Jetta with 205 nozzles. It's my beater daily driver. I got the motor for free with a bajillion miles on it, but I stuffed it in because I overheated and killed my 1.6. I'm getting the impression my stock turbo is on it's way out, it's been getting noisier and noisier over the last few months. I have two different turbos I'd like to know whether or not would be sized usably if I decided to put one on in the event the one on there now craps the bed. One is an old AiResearch M10 with a .63 exhaust housing and .48 intake housing. I had this turbo on my 1.6, and it did okay. I welded the wastegate shut because it was rusting and cracking, and I didn't care. It made 12 psi, but it seemed to be running out of breath at higher RPMs on my gov-modded 1.6. The other turbo I have is a Garrett T03 for a Peugeot, I think. The tag is in French. This turbo is brand new, but pretty old. The castings are surprisingly thick. This turbo has a .36 exhaust housing and a .42 intake housing. I'm not making a power-monster out of this. If I have 120 HP, that's more than enough. I can stand it if it spools a little slower, too. I'll probably end up trying to find another stock turbo if neither of these will work good, I just want to move away from the tiny little heat pump that is on there now without spending any extra money. I just can't put together all of the information out there with turbo maps and the like to make heads or tails of it all. Any help is appreciated.

Fixmyvw.com