S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: black smoke.  (Read 4807 times)

July 08, 2016, 12:21:00 pm

countryguyvw

black smoke.
« on: July 08, 2016, 12:21:00 pm »
I just changed my injector pump and injectors and now it blowes black smoke at high revs and when I'm luging up a hill.
I have tried changing the timing advancing it to 1.25 mm then reset it to .90 mm and have backed the fuel mix screw out about half a turn which has helped some but it is still blowing black.

Reply #1July 08, 2016, 11:15:53 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: black smoke.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 11:15:53 pm »
Why did you stop backing out the fuel screw if it was helping.  Just do it about a 1/4 a turn at a time now as it changes pretty abruptly.  You are just dumping fuel in and then out the tail pipe.  Some enjoy seeing that smoke roll out like that.  Rolling coal is the nic name for it.

I see it as wasted fuel for nothing. 

Reply #2July 10, 2016, 10:45:30 am

countryguyvw

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 10:45:30 am »
I stopped because I had to advance my idle speed screw so much.
I am thinking it I retard the timing it will help with the hard starting and maybe the smoke
What do y'all think?
I should mention that I got the reman pump and new injectors from hanns auto parts.

Reply #3July 10, 2016, 01:39:47 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 01:39:47 pm »
Most of the time you get a better start with advanced timing.  But before you go resetting it from 90 mm try pulling out the cold start knob on the dash the next time just before you shut it off.  Then when you try to fire it up cold you will have that little bit of advance already in place.  If that doesn't make any difference, check to see if it is adjusted correctly.  I know it is a pain to do but on my lever there is a bit of travel on the lever before it actually starts to do anything with the advance. Loosen the nut on the cable and move the lever until it bumps up against a bit of resistance with the internal mechanism.  Basically take the slack out of it.  Be sure to push the cold start knob all the way in on the dash and retighten the locking screw. 

Now try it again.  You may be able to tell if it is advancing by the sound of the engine.  It only gives it a very few degrees but that might make a difference.  If not bump the pump timing to 93 mm and see what it does. 

Retarded timing will not help with black smoke problems.  That is unburnt fuel out the tail pipe.

Reply #4July 10, 2016, 05:47:21 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 05:47:21 pm »
I should mention that I got the reman pump and new injectors from hanns auto parts.
this may be your problem there, chinese parts. you may get it to work better, but it may never work right, id try to return to sender as defective get your money back; then get parts that work right, and never go back to him(hans &etc, as he has had many alias' to sell his junk).

Reply #5July 14, 2016, 10:55:25 am

countryguyvw

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 10:55:25 am »
Everyone thank you for your advice. It has been a big help.
So far I have put 300 miles on it and have only used about half a tank.I'll know my egsact mpg when I fill up but does this sound normal?
I know everyone says hanns sells nothing but Chinese junk but I don't know of anyone who doesn't anymore. If I have to put in a new injector pump and injectors, who do you recommend? I live in North Carolina.

Reply #6July 14, 2016, 03:13:51 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 03:13:51 pm »
pumps and Injectors from those of us here that are willing to sell is about as good as you can do short of pulling one off a car at the junkers.  Opps I mean Salvage Yard.

Reply #7July 15, 2016, 11:24:58 am

countryguyvw

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 11:24:58 am »
But I'm by no means equipt to rebuild them. Or set them correctly.

Reply #8July 15, 2016, 12:09:22 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 12:09:22 pm »
i have limited experience with non-oem pumps, (they can last a while). but the last guy with this problem, didnt he get 1 from parts place, sounds like it to me he set-it, 'one turn' of key, and maybe, he was able to forget-it. seems to me i take a look at PP prices a few months ago and some of their pumps were $500. for normal usage (and properly lubed), it may work good. one thing pp has basic warranties, and their rebuilds/or refreshes (unlike that chinese junk) are going to be within spec. of course at $500 how much do you expect, all of my dealings with pp have been good. google 'vw diesel parts', &"used vw diesel parts'. i ll bet for $500, if those pumps fit, you ll only find used pumps for a better price. i ve gotten two pumps from 'us guys', one i have going, one still on the shelf, i may end up swapping it in(for a 1.9). the one i have in and going is going, i dont have but a few miles on it, as i was heating it up to adjust the idle a original coolinghose gave out, and i havent got it working 100%, so it may yet purge out the air in the inlet.

Reply #9August 05, 2016, 06:26:26 pm

countryguyvw

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 06:26:26 pm »
Well after a lot of trial and error, I finally found out what is going on. The pump that came off was a  0 460 494 077 the pump I got for it was a 0 460 494 206 which is apparently for a turbo model not a normaly aspirated.
Anyone know of a Bosch injector pump service center in North Carolina ? Still have my old pump looking to get it rebuilt and put it back on.

Reply #10August 21, 2016, 11:07:41 am

countryguyvw

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 11:07:41 am »
Well I found a place called Piedmont diesel service Inc. Located in abemarle NC.at 1019B old Charlotte road. And there number is 704-983-6680
They are a Bosch center. And are reasonable on there price. They even painted it up.